WAMC: GPA: 3.5 DAT: 22 No Acceptance. What Should I Do To Stand Out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magicP

Reaction score
I know it's still early and I want to trust the process, but just want to be prepared for the worst case scenario. I understand that my stats are just average and I was wondering how I could possibly set myself apart. I do not want to resubmit the same application for the 2022-2023 cycle. Should I do a masters, Post-bac, retake the DAT, any suggestions are welcome or maybe my interviewing skills are lacking. Is there anything I need to change? Let me know what you think.

Date of submission: 7/1/2021
Overall GPA: 3.50
Science GPA: 3.501
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.37
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22AA, 23Bio, 28 GC, 22 Orgo, 24TS, 21 PAT, 21 QR, 18 RC (This was my retake, my last score was 18AA, 19TS) (*Took DAT 2x)
State of Residence: VA

Undergrad Attended: VCU
Major: Biology with Pre-Professional/Pre-Dental Concentration
Minority? No- Asian
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? Yes; currently in my gap year. Graduated back in Spring 2019

Shadowing Experience: 2,000+ General Dentists (counted as part of dental assisting experience), 10 Oral Surgeon
Volunteering Experience: Volunteered with multiple organizations (at a local elementary school) 125 Hours
Employment: Dental Assistant with Radiation Certificate (2 Years), Medical Technologist for (6 months), Publix Cashier
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: President/Founder of Martial Arts Club (100+ hrs), Resident Assistant (2 Years)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength: Capstone Professor (Strong) , Biochemistry Professor (average), General Dentist (strong), and General Professor (Strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I have 1 withdrawal in a Bio Class, 1 C in General Chemistry II, D in Immunology (it was heavily questioned during my VCU interview as to why I got the D and why I didn’t retake it). Had an upward trend 3.3-3.5 freshman/sophomore to 3.8-4.0 junior/senior year Except for the semester I took Immunology.

School List
VCU (Interviewed)
Maryland (Interviewed)
LECOM (Interviewed)
Temple
NYU
BU
Tuft
Louisville
Meharry

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been rejected? If not, its too early to freak out. RELAX.

NO, do not retake the DAT. You don't need a SMP or a postbac unless something is obviously missing (the immunology course). Are you a poor interviewee? I hope you practiced before your interviews... it's possible... worry after you get rejected.

Seriously if you do get rejected, your answer to the D in immunology is the obvious issue telegraphed to you. You cannot seem satisfied with the D, and whatever circumstances you had when you took that class, you have to show you can handle that class. You'll be getting more of it in dental school so address that pass that class before you apply again.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you been rejected? If not, its too early to freak out. RELAX.

NO, do not retake the DAT. You don't need a SMP or a postbac unless something is obviously missing (the immunology course). Are you a poor interviewee? I hope you practiced before your interviews... it's possible... worry after you get rejected.

Seriously if you do get rejected, your answer to the D in immunology is the obvious issue telegraphed to you. You cannot seem satisfied with the D, and whatever circumstances you had when you took that class, you have to show you can handle that class. You'll be getting more of it in dental school so address that pass that class before you apply again.
Thank you! I did a lot of practicing with friends for my interview. Would you recommend just retaking immuno as a stand alone?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you answer the question about how you got your immunology grade of a D?
I told them the course was taught differently than what I was use to and at the time my studying strategies werent sufficient, hence my D. But because i got the D I was able to reflect and reevaluate how i approached absorbing material. I reflected on how i could improve during winter break and told them about my new approach to learning material that got me straight A’s the following semester.

Then they followed up with why didn’t you retake it in the Spring?

I told them that it was only offered in the fall and I was graduating that year.

Then they followed up with why didn’t you take it at a community college.

In which i responded with it wasnt part of my gap year plan as my plan was trying to figure out if denistry was the right career for me.

Me figuring if dentistry was the right path for me was mentioned previously in the interview and personal statement.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I told them the course was taught differently than what I was use to and at the time my studying strategies werent sufficient, hence my D. But because i got the D I was able to reflect and reevaluate how i approached absorbing material. I reflected on how i could improve during winter break and told them about my new approach to learning material that got me straight A’s the following semester.

Then they followed up with why didn’t you retake it in the Spring?

I told them that it was only offered in the fall and I was graduating that year.

Then they followed up with why didn’t you take it at a community college.

In which i responded with it wasnt part of my gap year plan as my plan was trying to figure out if denistry was the right career for me.

Me figuring if dentistry was the right path for me was mentioned previously in the interview and personal statement.
If you're at VCU, I know they have some prehealth advisors available to you, even if you graduated. Did you tell them this story; if so, did they give you any comments about this response? Did you ask them how they described your D in immunology, or did it occur too late to be included in the committee letter (I think they still do them)?

I can't really predict how your faculty responded to your answers, but I don't know what classes you took the following semester that would be comparable in difficulty to immunology. My own sense says, "if your new approach worked so well, then according to your logical argument, you should be able to post an A in immunology on a retake." In other words, "you haven't proved it." That's what the question thread was trying to figure out... whether you had plans to prove your D was an anomaly... by focusing on why you couldn't retake the class instead of telling them what you would plan to do, you may have raised yellow flags among your interviewers. (Others may disagree with this.)

Last edited:
If you're at VCU, I know they have some prehealth advisors available to you, even if you graduated. Did you tell them this story; if so, did they give you any comments about this response? Did you ask them how they described your D in immunology, or did it occur too late to be included in the committee letter (I think they still do them)

As an alumni, I’m only able to use pre-health services for one year after I graduate. They are unfortunately pretty strict on that policy and i wasnt able to build a relationship with my advisor because I got a new one every year (due to their personal reasons).

I also reached out to career services but again they are pretty strict about the one year policy for alumni.

Vcu no longer does committee letters. The last cycle they did committee letters was 2018. So the committee letter that I did with them one they wouldn’t give it to me and two i think it would have expired by now.

If you're at VCU, I know they have some prehealth advisors available to you, even if you graduated. Did you tell them this story; if so, did they give you any comments about this response? Did you ask them how they described your D in immunology, or did it occur too late to be included in the committee letter (I think they still do them)?

I can't really predict how your faculty responded to your answers, but I don't know what classes you took the following semester that would be comparable in difficulty to immunology. My own sense says, "if your new approach worked so well, then according to your logical argument, you should be able to post an A in immunology on a retake." In other words, "you haven't proved it." That's what the question thread was trying to figure out... whether you had plans to prove your D was an anomaly... by focusing on why you couldn't retake the class instead of telling them what you would plan to do, you may have raised yellow flags among your interviewers. (Others may disagree with this.)
I can see that. They did phrase the question like you got an A in Biochem which is a hard course. Why did you get a D in immuno? (Dont remember the exact wording but it was along the lines). I really appreciate your different view of the question and taking the time to respond! Thank you!

If i don’t get in this cycle. I have plans of retaking the immunology and taking anatomy and physiology.

My question is how should I go about retaking or showing them I can excel in a rigorous course? I’ve heard mixed reviews online about post baccs vs masters vs stand alone classes. Which would you recommended and would you advise taking any additional courses?

Last edited:
I can see that. They did phrase the question like you got an A in Biochem which is a hard course. Why did you get a D in immuno? (Dont remember the exact wording but it was along the lines). I really appreciate your different view of the question and taking the time to respond! Thank you!

If i don’t get in this cycle. I have plans of retaking the immunology and taking anatomy and physiology.

My question is how should I go about retaking or showing them I can excel in a rigorous course? I’ve heard mixed reviews online about post baccs vs masters vs stand alone classes. Which would you recommended and would you advise taking any additional courses?
In my opinion, you have to retake the undergrad course and buffer that D in your GPA. Your general GPA is not one that I would recommend doing SMP anyway.

I did look up UNE online and they do have an immunology course available. If you are unable to take immunology in a classroom setting as a non-degree postbac student (which shouldn't be that big of a problem getting a spot I would hope), you can probably find some program that offers it online. (I know somewhere on the forums is a UNE online course discussion subforum.) At this point, I would prioritize addressing the D for sure. A&P is nice, but ask around. (Others may differ who know your situation better.)

In my opinion, you have to retake the undergrad course and buffer that D in your GPA. Your general GPA is not one that I would recommend doing SMP anyway.

I did look up UNE online and they do have an immunology course available. If you are unable to take immunology in a classroom setting as a non-degree postbac student (which shouldn't be that big of a problem getting a spot I would hope), you can probably find some program that offers it online. (I know somewhere on the forums is a UNE online course discussion subforum.) At this point, I would prioritize addressing the D for sure. A&P is nice, but ask around. (Others may differ who know your situation better.)
Thank you for the advice. I have been reaching out to others to get their opinion. I'm slowly formulating a plan basic on the information i've gather to see what's best for me. I will retake immunology. Thank you again!

BTW I got into LECOM in mid March :) For future readers of the thread. I also got another interview to Tufts in Feb

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations! Let us also know how Tufts turns out, but we're excited for you!
I just got off the waitlist for Tufts today :) Thank you again for all your help!

Reactions: 1 users