WAMC? GPA: 3.88, MCAT: 514 URM. Need help please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winteriscoming47

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would like some feedback about my chances for my school list please!!

Information:

21 y/o F, light-skin Latina (Half Irish, Half Dominican)
Able to speak pretty good Spanish, not fluent but can communicate pretty well and working on learning medical Spanish
cGPA: 3.88, sGPA: 3.85 upward trend (1st yr: 3.25, 2nd yr: 3.74, 3rd yr: 3.96, 4th yr: 4.00)
Hopkins undergrad (possible grade deflation)
MCAT: (1) 510 (129, 123, 129, 129), (2) 514 retake (129, 126, 132, 127) – just want to note I had technical difficulties during my first MCAT during the CARS section which led to the low score
Come from a disadvantaged background and have significant personal life experiences I plan to share

Experiences:

Shadowing: 140 hours total (40 in US, 100 in Spain through a fellowship)
Clinical Volunteering: 240 hours total (about half involved traveling to a Spanish-speaking third world country and providing medical assistance to underserved communities)
Research: about 650 hours at Johns Hopkins SOM (presented posters but no publications)
Non-clinical Volunteering: 40 hours total (volunteered about an hour a week to hand out meals to impoverished individuals in Baltimore)
Extracurriculars: Served as Captain and Coach of a club that I helped make into a club sport, member of a sorority beginning Sophomore Spring, have played the flute since I was 8 y/o and continue to do so today, served as a camp counselor during summer going into Sophomore year
Honors/Awards: National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Dean’s List, recipient of a full tuition, need-based competitive scholarship

I will be taking a gap year and plan to scribe in an Emergency Department and volunteer with my local Food Bank!

School List:

Columbia
Cornell
Hopkins
Duke
NYU
Mount Sinai
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
Albany
Rochester
U Maryland
Georgetown
Albert Einstein
George Washington
Brown
NYMC

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
New York!
I suggest these schools with your stats:
ALL 4 SUNY's
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU (best chances at new school on Long Island)
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Your ECs are pretty weak. Most of your stuff is from programs abroad . You have 40 hours of shadowing in the US, about 120 hours of clinical work in the US and 40 hours of nonclinical volunteering(really low number). You should work on your ECs. I’m not sure if you would be considered URM. Do you have documented service to the Dominican community here in the US?