WAMC? GPA 4.0, 509 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garcia_104

Reaction score
Year in school:
Graduated in December of 2018. I am a first generation college student.

Country/state of residence:
Arizona

Ethnicity: URM
Mexican

Undergraduate institution or category:
Public state school

Schools to which you are applying:
UofA Phoenix/Tucson, Mayo Arizona (reach), Rosalind Franklin, Einstein, New York Medical College, Albany, Creighton (Arizona.. First class begins 2021), Drexel, Loyola, Geisinger, Rush

Any UC schools that I have a chance at? I’d love UCLA but thats a reach.

Texas schools - Baylor, UT Southwestern —> I have a lot of family in Texas and would love to go to school here but I know they are not OOS friendly.

Cumulative GPA:

Science GPA:

MCAT Scores:
5/11/19 —> 498 (124/123/126/125) First attempt. Was not as ready as I thought and had to travel from Arizona to Texas for this exam.

1/23/20 —> 509 (127/125/130/127) got my score back today and was very happy with my score increase!

Research/Paid Research Experience:

100 hours of community based research at Arizona State’s center of disease prevention. The goal of the research was preventing type II diabetes in latino adolescents in a low income city in Arizona.

700+ paid hours as a Clinical Research Coordinator - Currently working as a Clinical Research Coordinator for a neurology clinic/biotech company. As research coordinators, we have direct patient care and this includes, obtaining vital signs, recruiting for clinical trials, obtaining pertinent information in regard to the specific clinical trial they are enrolled in and we also do phlebotomy/ECGs. I also go over informed consent forms for patients, ensuring that they are well aware/voluntary to participate in the clinical trials. All trials revolve around neurology and include things such as migraines, seizures, parkinson’s, alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis and more!

Paid Clinical Experience:
1500 hours as a ER scribe. Primarily scribed at a level 1 trauma center in Az.

500 hours as a medical scribe for a general surgeon. Gained a lot of knowledge in regard to general surgery and endocrine surgery.

Volunteering (medical/clinical) – include hours/sites:
50 hours: Hospital volunteer in ER helping Techs/Nurses/Docs with cleaning and preparing the room for new patients/ helping patients in the ER department.

Non-clinical volunteering:
100 hours: Was involved with a group at Arizona State called Change-Maker. They held a numerous amount of volunteer events and I would sporadically volunteer while in college.
I’m hoping to add 100 more hours by application cycle

Physician shadowing:

Spent three weeks abroad in Italy for a medical internship/shadowing experience.
20+ hours: ER/trauma
20+ hours: Orthopedics
20+ hours: Medical microbiology and a few hours in OB/Gyn

Remaining shadowing hours were in AZ.
10 Hours: ENT Surgery
10 Hours: General surgery

Extracurricular activities:
I enjoy weight lifting, cycling and hiking. Intramurals in college (soccer)

Immediate family members in medicine?
No

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your MCAT retake. I think you're in a much better position with MD and DO schools. Yes, all your in-state Arizona schools should be in play. I'm not sure your Texas schools should be... when you say you have family, are they parents or siblings? Check the rules regarding Texas residency. Check your school's competitiveness to what would be your WARS/Lizzy scores... but I also would check on schools with strong support systems especially for Latino/Hispanic students (LMSA chapters).

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tuscon)
Mayo Arizona
Creighton
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Kaiser
California University
USC Keck
UCLA
UCSD

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tuscon)
Mayo Arizona
Creighton
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Kaiser
California University
USC Keck
UCLA
UCSD

Thanks for the list! I really appreciate it.

Congratulations on your MCAT retake. I think you're in a much better position with MD and DO schools. Yes, all your in-state Arizona schools should be in play. I'm not sure your Texas schools should be... when you say you have family, are they parents or siblings? Check the rules regarding Texas residency. Check your school's competitiveness to what would be your WARS/Lizzy scores... but I also would check on schools with strong support systems especially for Latino/Hispanic students (LMSA chapters).

Thank you!
I do not have any immediate family in Texas. Most family in Texas are relatives on my Dad's side. I believe I would have to live in Texas for one year and the cut off date is October 1st so even if I moved now, this wouldn't give me residency. I will check the competitiveness for the WARS/Lizzy, thank you. I appreciate your feedback!