MD WAMC GPA 4.0 MCAT 524 TX ORM (MD/PhD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

takoyaki123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think its a good idea for you to defer applying until 2023-24, mainly because I really think your research experience is kinda on the low side. Get another year and a half of solid, hopefully productive, research experience in before you apply. IMO its hard to have an informed idea of what research entails with less than 1,500 hours spent doing reearch, and much of it self-admittedly of little value. Publications aren't necessary, but they certainly help....a co-authorship boosts ur app quite a bit and a first-authorship is golden, especially with ur GPA and trully stellar MCAT. Btw just make sure the MCAT is still going to be under consideration, meaning it was taken preferably last year (most schools have a cutoff at 3-4 years prior to matriculation I believe).

Overall, if you could snag a co-authorship, I'd say you have a strong chance at a ""T20-T25"" MSTP -- i.e. Michigan, Northwestern, UCLA-Caltech, Pitt-Carnegie Mellon, UCSD, Baylor, UTSW, UNC, Emory, Case Western, UW -- and a low chance at some of the ""T10"" group of MSTPs -- Harvard, Yale, Penn, WashU, Tri-I, Stanford, Hopkins, Columbia, UCSF, Duke.

You somehow manage a first author...very strong chance for ""T20-T25"" MSTPs and an ok chance for most ""T10"" MSTPs. No one actually gets in Harvard or UCSF.

Also, the quality of an MSTP is a little more nuanced than USNWR T20 or T10 ranks that I indulged^....all those programs are, in a way, great by virtue of the sheer amount of research infrastructure they provide access to. But not all ""T20"" MSTPs are nearly equivalent in terms of getting you that F30 or out with an MD/PhD in 7-8yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.