• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC graduated back in 2007 from undergrad, also have a pharmD in 2011

bugslife2012

7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2013
  1. Pharmacist
Hey everyone! So, I graduated from undergrad back in 2007, and then graduated from pharmacy school (UCSF) in 2011. After years of working, now, I finally realized how much I should have become a doctor. I know is cliche to say, but I finally realized that helping patients is the greatest job one can have and being surrounded in that kind of environment by other people like it is exciting and truly inspiring everyday. Being a doctor would be a dream job, something that I really never dream of in my younger days. So below are my stats and I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a MD medical school within the next 2 years.

1. Undergrad GPA of 3.9 (science and overall gpa about the same, above 3.9), chemistry major
2. UCSF pharmacy school GPA of about 3.5
3. Haven't taken MCAT yet
4. Obviously clinical hospital and retail(outpatient) experience (but from a pharmacy perspective)
5. 2 years of research experience and published (last author, but still published) from undergrad. But haven't really done any hard lab research since 2007 from undergraduate years.
6. 4 to 5 years of leadership and community service experiences. Ranging from coordinators for health clinics, outreach diabetes, hypertension, and cholesterol programs. Trips to Mexican orphanages every month, etc. But haven't really done any of this since I graduated from UCSF pharm school back in 2011. Being busy with taking care of wife, kids, parents, mortgages, student loans.

I guess I have a couple of questions regarding my ability to get into medical school. Do I have to retake my science prerequisites again? I completed all of the science prerequisites back in 2005 during my freshman and sophomore years of college. Are there a lot of programs that will accept my classes from more than a decade ago? Should I just retake all of my chem, physics, biology classes again at a community college? Any other options? Also, regarding letters of recommendations, can I get some of it from my current employer? Kind of difficult to track down and ask my professors/research advisors from more than 10 to 15 years ago to write me a letter of recommendation. My current plan is to self study for MCAT (while working and raising a family full time) and take it some time in October or November of this year and then apply for medical school during the summer/fall of 2021.

What do you guys think? any advices would be appreciated.

thanks in advance to all any one that replies!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2011
  1. Academic Administration
I think your case needs a little more reflection on the transition to medicine from pharmacy as that will be the biggest question you'll face from all the schools you will be applying to. I would check about any expiration of prerequisites and whether any of your pharmacy coursework could substitute, but that too was likely taken a while back. So connect with admissions staff at the schools where you would like to attend first.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dral

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
  1. Attending Physician
I would check, but I think you should have your course pre-reqs covered. Much hinges on your MCAT score. I would make sure you do more medical/clinical shadowing.

Your biggest hurdle the way I see it? "Tell me why you did pharmacy school instead of medical school to begin with? Why did you decide to switch now when you seem to have a perfectly fine pharmacy career? Convince me that you're not just doing this because of possible poor career prospects in the pharm world".

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.