WAMC?? Help appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derpin2Doctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time applying and was just curious to hear what everyone's input might be about my application.
  1. 3.3 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA as a biology major (Upward trend with 3.6 and 3.7 my junior and senior year)
  2. 513 MCAT (considering taking again before I apply)
  3. Washington state resident
  4. 26 yo white male
  5. 2.5 years working in the ER as an ERT
  6. 100+ hours shadowing in ER and clinic with medical oncologist
  7. 100+ hours volunteering as a CASA/Guardian ad litem, 100+ hours of assorted volunteering (Washington Science Olympiad, church, youth sports leagues, local events, etc.)
  8. Assorted college intramurals (not sure if that counts), management experience, passion for coffee, former professional gamer (played in tournaments, people paid me for coaching/account piloting, etc.), TA for A&P and medical microbiology
  9. Deans List multiple times during undergrad
  10. LORs - 3 physicians, ED director, and senior capstone professor (no committee letters at my school)

Here's the list of schools I'm leaning towards applying to so far:

University of Washington
Washington State University
University of Arizona
University of Wisconsin
Oregon Health Sciences University
University of Colorado
University of Nevada
UC Davis
Michigan State
Rush
Drexel

I'd like to hit 15-20 schools - any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These are state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your GPA so delete them.
University of Arizona
University of Wisconsin
Oregon Health Sciences University
University of Colorado
University of Nevada
UC Davis
Michigan State
Your 2 Washington schools are where you could receive interviews. You GPA is below the 10% percentile for almost all OOS private MD schools. Your MCAT if fine and there is no need to retake. I suggest applying to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what would you consider a cutoff gpa-wise for applying to oos schools? I looked up aamc's matriculation statistics so I have all the percentages for oos applicants, I just need to figure out where I should draw my line in the sand considering my gpa. Here are some of the other schools that had decent oos matriculation rates, as well as their median gpa's and mcat scores.

Arizona 33% - 506 MCAT - 3.67 GPA
Quinnipiac 81.1% - 512 MCAT - 3.68 GPA
Emory 56.6% - 515 MCAT - 3.79 GPA
Morehouse 32.6% - 503 MCAT - 3.61 GPA
Chicago Franklin 52.4% - 511 MCAT - 3.62 GPA
Loyola Stritch 64.2% - 507 MCAT - 3.71 GPA
Tulane 91.1% - 511 MCAT - 3.62 GPA
Tufts 71.6% - 513 MCAT - 3.74 GPA
Oakland Beaumont 64% - 507 MCAT - 3.79 GPA
Wake Forest 67.4% - 511 MCAT - 3.69 GPA
Albany 63.4% - 510 MCAT - 3.68 GPA
Jefferson Kimmel 74.1% - 512 MCAT - 3.75 GPA
Temple-Katz 61.7% - 512 MCAT - 3.79 GPA
East Virginia 49% - 512 MCAT - 3.72 GPA
Virginia Tech 59% - 513 MCAT - 3.61 GPA
Virginia Commonwealth 50% - 511 MCAT - 3.74 GPA
Vermont 70.9% - 512 MCAT - 3.82 GPA
MC Wisconsin 51% - 510 MCAT - 3.76 GPA
West Virginia 50% - 507 MCAT - 3.79 GPA

Those median MCAT scores and GPA's for the state public schools are for ALL students who matriculate. The MCAT scores and GPA's are much higher for non residents. Morehouse accepts mainly URM. Your GPA is at or below the 10% percentile for most private schools. You could try Quinnipiac, NYMC, GW, Oakland Beaumont and Rosalind Franklin but you should also apply to DO schools.