deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ednamed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your app seems pretty solid to me, though research hours aren't real strong for T20's. I don't think your non-clinical volunteering (assuming you keep up with it) will hold you back at the schools you are listing. UCSD and U Mass take very few from OOS so might want to cut those. I'd probably add Thomas Jefferson, Emory, Dartmouth, and Cincinnati if you like those locations. If you want to cut from the top you could delete Columbia, NYU, and Stanford.

You have enough research and a first author publication - that is excellent for a premed. Your clinical experience is phenomenal. And your non-clinical is varied and solid. I think you have a very good application and will have success.

As for your list, I think it's fine to have reaches but right now your list may be a bit top heavy; I would add a few more mid-tiers: Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Georgetown, Emory, Dartmouth, Miami.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an AdCom, so just speaking from personal and anecdotal evidence. My sense is that if you are gunning for a top school, most would favor additional research. A solid position, say 15 hours a week for the next 20 weeks, would be helpful if you can do that on top of your classes and volunteering. Your volunteering (clinical and non-clinical seems pretty solid to me). I think your MCAT is competitive at most schools, less the really tip/top ones. Use MSAR to help with school list. I suggested dropping Columbia, Stanford, and NYU based on combination of strong but not stratospheric MCAT and relatively pedestrian research hours. But, hey, shoot your shot on one or two of them. I would spend some time with MSAR.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @Banco --- your app is already pretty darn strong. It's debatable whether additional research hours are necessary for T20.

I tend to agree with the other posters. You have a really great and competitive application, but your list is crazy top heavy. Even if you are competitive, there are so many competitive applicants. I would definitely add a handful of schools where you are above the median MCAT. Schools like Penn St, Tulane, SLU, Rush. If you don't want to apply to more than the number you are at now, then I would probably cut a few of the following: California schools, Columbia, NYU, Stanford. I think high 20s to 30 is the ideal number of schools to apply to and the list just needs a little balance. Research wouldn't hurt, but what you've got is already good. Just have to realize so many other amazing students are also applying to the Columbias and Stanfords of the world, so balance is important. Best of luck!