WAMC/Help with school list (3.97cGPA, 3.96 sGPA, 516 unbalanced MCAT, URM Hispanic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

99cutter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please do not quote, thanks.

Hello, I’d like some guidance on where I should apply this cycle. My tentative school list is below. FAP gave me 20 free schools to apply to. Can I get away with applying to 20? I'd rather save my money lol

As far as my MCAT, I had a pretty strong performance on all sections except P/S. I feel like my total score prevents me from being competitive at some schools, thoughts?

cGPA/sGPA: 3.97/3.96 (graduated ‘21)

MCAT: 516 (131/129/130/126)

State of residence: FL

Ethnicity and/or race: URM male

Undergraduate institution or category: Big state school in FL

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  • ~800hrs scribing at a surgery clinic
  • ~1 semester of EMT clinical training at high volume fire stations (semi-autonomous pt care)

Research experience and productivity:
  • ~2yrs working at a university-affiliated ecology research lab.
  • Started as an unpaid during undergrad, now a paid research associate. 2 poster presentations. Research is very heavy on statistical analysis with RStudio.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
  • ~70hrs of OR shadowing surgery, usually after my work days/days off.
  • I would love to shadow other specialties, but it has been extremely difficult. On the bright side, I often shadow surgery residents/fellows on rounds and sometimes get to follow a case intraoperatively, in addition to perioperative clinic visits.
  • ~20hrs of virtual shadowing. (Don’t know if I can count this on AMCAS)

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • ~200hrs of volunteering at a nonprofit that provides immigration legal services.
  • My day-to-day involves interviewing applicants, reviewing their supplementary documentation, and helping them fill out paperwork (usually our clients only speak Spanish). We help people with paperwork regarding citizenship, asylum, petitions for relatives, etc.
  • ~1 semester of a free, worksheet-based chemistry tutoring service for students at my university.

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc.):
  • 2 semesters of paid TAing (Teaching Assistant) for General Chemistry 1/2.
  • Led in-class activities, hosted office hours and recitation sessions.
  • ~2.5yrs of paid math/science tutoring children with learning disabilities at a tutoring center.

Relevant honors or awards:

Dean's list every year, also I got an academic scholarship for one semester but that's about it.

Anything else not listed you think might be important:
  • Took night classes at my local CC and got my EMT licensure, as implied above.
  • First generation, born to immigrant parents.
  • I speak Spanish. Proficiency is native I guess. I live in a Spanish-speaking household.
School list (so far):
  • Baylor
  • Emory
  • Miami
  • Yale
  • Georgetown
  • Tufts
  • GWU
  • Brown
  • UF
  • FIU
  • UCF
  • USF
  • FSU

Members don't see this ad.

You should add Florida Atlantic. Other schools to consider include:
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Harvard
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
UCLA
Kaiser

You should add Florida Atlantic. Other schools to consider include:
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Harvard
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
UCLA
Kaiser
Appreciate the reply. Would you consider some of the schools you listed as "reach" schools for me?