WAMC & Help with School List (508/3.56/TX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxstudent860

Reaction score
I'm seeking some outside opinions on my chances and school list for 2020-2021.

cGPA: 3.56, sGPA: 3.47, all other GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 508
Undergraduate Institution: community college associate's, large public BA
Major: Sociology, business minor
Graduate Studies: Master of Science in Healthcare Administration, GPA: 4.0
Doctor of Pharmacy (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading) expected 2021
ORM, TX resident, open to applying almost anywhere in the US
Relevant activities - 400+ hours of clinical pharmacy experience (1500+ planned for 2020-2021), 5 years of paid pharmacy employment, 80+ research hours w/posters, 40 hours shadowing, 1 medical mission trip, teaching experience as a facilitator of a freshman-level seminar course (1 semester), 300+ hours volunteering to one military non-profit, various professional society memberships (with meaningful activity), and various awards.

I have 15 hours of post-bacc work taken mainly to complete prerequisites (Physics 2, Biochem, Bio 2, Statistics) at a GPA of 4.0, but it's all at a community college because that is what has been accessible to me for taking these required courses.

My current school list:
EVMS
Quinnipiac
TCU/UNTHSC
Texas A&M
Texas Tech El Paso
Texas Tech Lubbock
Tufts University Maine
Tulane
UConn
University of Colorado
University of Houston
University of Louisville
UNTHSC
UT Austin
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UT Southwestern
UTMB
UTRGV
VCU
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

@Goro @Mr.Smile12 @Faha I really respect the feedback you guys give to other pre-meds and would love your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive interviews from your Texas schools. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend Texas schools. Exceptions are URM and those who attended undergraduate school in another state or are former residents. You could try some of the newer schools such as:
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
With your stats you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
Sam Houston State
UIWSOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 user
I need to better understand the education timeline. So you are finishing a PharmD after having completed a master's in health care administration. The issue is going to be why you are jumping ship after spending so much time in pharmacy and where are you going to get the money to complete four years of medical education? Every person is allotted a certain amount of money for all of their graduate coursework, and you may be tapping out if you do medical school. Unless you are on a significant scholarship for pharmacy school, how much in debt are you going to carry into medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to better understand the education timeline. So you are finishing a PharmD after having completed a master's in health care administration. The issue is going to be why you are jumping ship after spending so much time in pharmacy and where are you going to get the money to complete four years of medical education? Every person is allotted a certain amount of money for all of their graduate coursework, and you may be tapping out if you do medical school. Unless you are on a significant scholarship for pharmacy school, how much in debt are you going to carry into medical school?
I haven't paid anything for my master's or PharmD. I think I'll have to take out some loans for medical school, if I don't go to a Texas public school. My paid pharmacy employment is from ages 16-21 so I am not sure if this constitutes dedicating a significant amount of time to the field, and I am the same age as many traditional students applying to school this year.
Timeline - Finished HS in May 2016, AA Fall 2016, BA in May 2018, MSHA May 2020 (concurrently with PharmD), and PharmD expected 2021.

Reactions: 1 user