WAMC & Help with School List (508/3.56/TX)

rxstudent860

Jun 5, 2019
  1. Pharmacy Student
    I'm seeking some outside opinions on my chances and school list for 2020-2021.

cGPA: 3.56, sGPA: 3.47, all other GPA: 3.63
    MCAT: 508
    Undergraduate Institution: community college associate's, large public BA
    Major: Sociology, business minor
    Graduate Studies: Master of Science in Healthcare Administration, GPA: 4.0
    Doctor of Pharmacy (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading) expected 2021
    ORM, TX resident, open to applying almost anywhere in the US
    Relevant activities - 400+ hours of clinical pharmacy experience (1500+ planned for 2020-2021), 5 years of paid pharmacy employment, 80+ research hours w/posters, 40 hours shadowing, 1 medical mission trip, teaching experience as a facilitator of a freshman-level seminar course (1 semester), 300+ hours volunteering to one military non-profit, various professional society memberships (with meaningful activity), and various awards.

I have 15 hours of post-bacc work taken mainly to complete prerequisites (Physics 2, Biochem, Bio 2, Statistics) at a GPA of 4.0, but it's all at a community college because that is what has been accessible to me for taking these required courses.

My current school list:
    EVMS
    Quinnipiac
    TCU/UNTHSC
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech El Paso
    Texas Tech Lubbock
    Tufts University Maine
    Tulane
    UConn
    University of Colorado
    University of Houston
    University of Louisville
    UNTHSC
    UT Austin
    UT Houston
    UT San Antonio
    UT Southwestern
    UTMB
    UTRGV
    VCU
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest

@Goro @Mr.Smile12 @Faha I really respect the feedback you guys give to other pre-meds and would love your help!

Faha

7+ Year Member
    Sep 15, 2012
    1. Attending Physician
      You should receive interviews from your Texas schools. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend Texas schools. Exceptions are URM and those who attended undergraduate school in another state or are former residents. You could try some of the newer schools such as:
      Quinnipiac
      Seton Hall
      NOVA MD
      Oakland Beaumont
      With your stats you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
      TCOM
      Sam Houston State
      UIWSOM
      AZCOM
      KCU-COM
      DMU-COM
      ATSU-KCOM
      CUSOM
      LECOM (all schools)
      PCOM
      CUSOM
      VCOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 user

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Gold Member
    • Oct 14, 2011
      1. Academic Administration
        I need to better understand the education timeline. So you are finishing a PharmD after having completed a master's in health care administration. The issue is going to be why you are jumping ship after spending so much time in pharmacy and where are you going to get the money to complete four years of medical education? Every person is allotted a certain amount of money for all of their graduate coursework, and you may be tapping out if you do medical school. Unless you are on a significant scholarship for pharmacy school, how much in debt are you going to carry into medical school?

rxstudent860

Jun 5, 2019
        1. Pharmacy Student
          I need to better understand the education timeline. So you are finishing a PharmD after having completed a master's in health care administration. The issue is going to be why you are jumping ship after spending so much time in pharmacy and where are you going to get the money to complete four years of medical education? Every person is allotted a certain amount of money for all of their graduate coursework, and you may be tapping out if you do medical school. Unless you are on a significant scholarship for pharmacy school, how much in debt are you going to carry into medical school?
          I haven't paid anything for my master's or PharmD. I think I'll have to take out some loans for medical school, if I don't go to a Texas public school. My paid pharmacy employment is from ages 16-21 so I am not sure if this constitutes dedicating a significant amount of time to the field, and I am the same age as many traditional students applying to school this year.
          Timeline - Finished HS in May 2016, AA Fall 2016, BA in May 2018, MSHA May 2020 (concurrently with PharmD), and PharmD expected 2021.

Reactions: 1 user
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.