WAMC: High GPA, average DAT, low shadowing/volunteering/extracurr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purple99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: planning for mid-June
Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.93
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.89
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Canadian DAT AA: 22, Bio: 22, Chem: 23, TS: 22, RC: 20, PAT: 19 (Should I retake for PAT?)
State of Residence: Canada (I am an American citizen though and plan to attend dental school in America)

Undergrad Attended: Western University (Canada)
Major: Medical Sciences
Minor: none
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 50 between 2 general dentists
Volunteering Experience: 200 (100 mentoring/tutor, 100 fundraising organization for homeless)
Employment: 450 cashier
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: pre-dent club
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength: 3 science (medium strength, 1 dentist strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Only taken Canadian DAT, not US
School list:
Planning to apply to Indiana, UDM, Case Western, Pitt, UPenn, temple, buffalo, Columbia, Maryland, Tufts, Marquette, Midwestern-AZ, SIU, Alabama (I'm not sure how good this list is, but I'm kinda limited to those that accept the Canadian DAT, please suggest schools I should add/remove)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you not applying to any Canadian schools? Do you have parents in the US you can use to claim residency in one state?
I don't think I have a chance at Canadian Schools because they're extremely competitive , I was rejected there with no interview. Applicants to Canadian schools usually have insanely good applications. Unfortunately none of my family members live in the US either, but I am considering moving to US due to better opportunities there

Members don't see this ad :)
With your situation, I would connect with the schools in advance of your application, especially with the upcoming virtual fair. Ultimately you want to make it clear you are a US citizen living in Canada and thus don't really have a state residency to anchor yourself to a state.

I don't know about the non-border schools on your list (Arizona? UAB??). SIU I think has more of a mission for underserved communities so you may not fit there.

Reactions: 1 user
With your situation, I would connect with the schools in advance of your application, especially with the upcoming virtual fair. Ultimately you want to make it clear you are a US citizen living in Canada and thus don't really have a state residency to anchor yourself to a state.

I don't know about the non-border schools on your list (Arizona? UAB??). SIU I think has more of a mission for underserved communities so you may not fit there.
Thank you so much for your advice!