WAMC - High GPA, low DAT, <20 shadowing hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyosborne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Science GPA - 4.0
Overall GPA - 3.97
2019 DAT - 18AA
Shadowing <20 hours, had to stop due to COVID-19
Volunteer 100+ hours from Habitat and other various events

I’m retaking my DAT in a week, and I’ve been studying at a somewhat decent but inconsistent rate because of the virus and everything happening.

The main school I’m applying to is DCG, the only in-state dental school available. I haven’t looked around too much at OSS schools other than the ones close to home.

I’m hoping to cram a lot of shadowing hours in the month of August (if COVID settles down) since none of the dentists in my area are allowing non-workers and patients into their offices.

I’m really considering just skipping this cycle and applying next year because of my lack of volunteer and shadowing hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Science GPA - 4.0
Overall GPA - 3.97
2019 DAT - 18AA
Shadowing Volunteer 100+ hours from Habitat and other various events

I’m retaking my DAT in a week, and I’ve been studying at a somewhat decent but inconsistent rate because of the virus and everything happening.

The main school I’m applying to is DCG, the only in-state dental school available. I haven’t looked around too much at OSS schools other than the ones close to home.

I’m hoping to cram a lot of shadowing hours in the month of August (if COVID settles down) since none of the dentists in my area are allowing non-workers and patients into their offices.

I’m really considering just skipping this cycle and applying next year because of my lack of volunteer and shadowing hours.
A very good idea. You also need to plan a DAT attempt that is better as well.

Yes if you haven’t already prepared your app for this cycle, it might be a better idea to push your DAT out to a later date to give yourself as much time as you need to do an exhaustive preparation of the exam. That will give you an entire year to get shadowing, do well on the DAT, and prepare everything you need for your aadsas app. You should open the aadsas app now just to see exactly everything you need, and begin collecting that data to fill it in. If you do this, you’ll be ready to submit within the first week or two when the cycle begins next year.