MD .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LemonFinagler

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DO NOT take a gap(wasted) year which will just delay your medical education and remove one years worth of your HIGHEST level of income. I think you know you are highly competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Bro come on, you have enough clinical experience...

Outside of TX you should really only apply to schools you really would go to over your TX schools. Loyola, Jeff, Gtown gonna resource protect you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT take a gap(wasted) year which will just delay your medical education and remove one years worth of your HIGHEST level of income. I think you know you are highly competitive.
I keep hearing this as justification against taking gap years...

Is a year of income really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things? The competition is really tough these days, and I think a year to grow/learn/figure things out and cement their place at an institution where they know they will be happy for the next 4 (or more if doing dual degree, which is quite common nowadays) is worth it.

Also, since when was going into medicine so much about the money? :thinking: I get that practically speaking, considering costs is important esp when to comes down to splitting hairs when deciding between a few great choices, but I don't think there are many doctors who are in dire financial straits in their last years of practice. So I don't get why that "lost final year of attending salary" is so often used as a reason to NOT build a stronger app.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools. Remove Georgetown, Jefferson and Loyola since they will "yield protect".

Is a year of income really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things? The competition is really tough these days, and I think a year to grow/learn/figure things out and cement their place at an institution where they know they will be happy for the next 4 (or more if doing dual degree, which is quite common nowadays) is worth it.

Also, since when was going into medicine so much about the money? :thinking: I get that practically speaking, considering costs is important esp when to comes down to splitting hairs when deciding between a few great choices, but I don't think there are many doctors who are in dire financial straits in their last years of practice. So I don't get why that "lost final year of attending salary" is so often used as a reason to NOT build a stronger app.
you dont need a gap year, you're a very competitive applicant as it stands. but i agree, don't feel discouraged against taking one just to take a year to mature. and i'm not just saying that because i'm applying next year and don't want to be compared to you :p

also, i'd drop gtown, jeff, loyola, BU, and keck (seems to favor CA apps and you're pretty far above their stats). with baylor and UTSW in-state a lot of schools might think the chances are slim you'd leave

I agree the loss of attending salary isn't that huge for me. The gap year would be both to take more time with my app and to just experience life outside of school. But there's the impatient part of me that also says that why take a gap year when there's no need to

You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools. Remove Georgetown, Jefferson and Loyola since they will "yield protect".
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any thoughts about my chances for T20 out of state?

If you WANT to take a gap year, by all means do it - travel, work etc. But you certainly don't need one for medical school application purposes.

Reactions: 1 users
If you care a lot about med school rankings, I'd take a research gap year to get some more research productivity. I feel with some more research (tho basic science is very unpredictable, also never trust PIs they're always droning on about imaginary pubs that never materialize) and meaningful leadership (it's not about the position but about what you did, can you talk about meaningful change/projects you spearheaded?) your stats can help land you in top 10s. As of now, I feel like you're a shoo-in for texas schools but not for top 20s (you could get in, but it's a hit or miss), and lack the x-factor for tippy tops. But school rank isn't that important at the end of the day so do what makes you happy. if a gap year would stress you out then apply straight through

You have more than 100 clinical hours and that should be enough with your stats and other ECs and you DO NOT need a gap year. If you get a strong LOR from your PI you will have good chance at T5 research powerhouses. Only issue I am seeing is no shadowing with primary care physicians.

For all intents and purposes this T-10 and T-20 nonsense is just that, nonsense. It is FAR more important that you are comfortable with the faculty, classmates, geographic location, physical facilities, cost of living, curriculum,
cultural and sports opportunities, etc.

Right now, you don’t see this and have become blinded by bs.

Please, please read the first paragraph again.