WAMC High Stats Low Clinical Volunteering Any advice is appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedDiamond

Reaction score
Hi, Im planning to apply this upcoming 2022-2023 cycle. Just wanted some help developing a school list. My main concern on my app is my low clinical volunteering. The only position I had got shut down when Covid started. Still trying to get a new position but many hospitals aren’t allowing new volunteers.

GPA: cGPA is 4.00 and sGPA is 4.00
URM: Y (African American)
MCAT: 521
University: University of Georgia
Clinical Work Experience: 100 hours working at a hospice (this was before Covid, after that I have 0 hours)
Research: 1800 hours of research in a neurobiology lab of my institution (1 poster and a honor's thesis) and 100 hours in a virtual summer internship.
Shadowing: 100 hours, 3 doctors in total including primary care.
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
-Homeless shelter (50 hours)
-Red Cross (250 hours)
Extracurriculars: Tutor for precalculus and chemistry for 1 year(100 hours)
Honors/Awards: Member of my university honor's program , Dean's List all semesters, Honor's Scholarship

Members don't see this ad.

State residency? Any connections with SNMA or recruitment trips to schools? What do your prehealth advisors at UGA think?
State Residency is Georgia. Havent done any connections with any organization yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aim high. With research, grades/MCAT and "life experience" you will be highly sought after despite a slim record of clinical exposure.

Reactions: 1 user
You are fine to apply this cycle in June. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Emory
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
U Virginia
Georgetown
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
Pittsburgh
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Hofstra
Einstein
Harvard
Brown
Yale
UCSF
Kaiser
UCLA
USC Keck

You are fine to apply this cycle in June. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Emory
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
U Virginia
Georgetown
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
Pittsburgh
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Hofstra
Einstein
Harvard
Brown
Yale
UCSF
Kaiser
UCLA
USC Keck
I agree with the wise Faha, but also add:

All HBCs, including UCLA/DRew
Stanford
Rochester
U MI
Boston
Baylor
USF/Morsani
SUNY.SB
UTx.SW
U WI
U VM
U CO

Now take all those on the list, get yourself access to MSAR, look at each school and cross out any that you would not attend if they were the only school to admit you and without a scholarship (e.g. don't go to an OOS school with sky high tuition for OOS students). With your stats you should not need more than 20 schools. The TX schools should be on your list and then whatever others from the list sound like a good fit with what YOU want. Do not get worn out with secondaries and interviews. It is far to easy to burn out in this process if you are a talented applicant.

Reactions: 1 user