WAMC - I took a very messy pathway for pre-vet. (An introductory post for me, and a long one at that.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorgNation

Reaction score
Hello all, I've spent a few hours away from studying to browse through the forum and there have been a lot of fantastic posts and topics covered.
This is my first post here, so please be gentle.

I am a 26 year old pre-vet student. My path has been a bit strayed and complicated.
-Started out with an AAS in 2012, 3.78 cumulative gpa, 3.9 science gpa.
-Began working in a variety of different animal-related fields, and so I had a 3-year long gap before I went back.
-Graduated with a BA in Bio in 2017. 3.8 cumulative gpa, 3.67 science gpa.

Here's where it gets tough. In 2017 I suffered a devastating emotional crisis. (I.e. cheating fiancee, that's all I'll disclose.) It took me a while to bounce back, but I finished my degree with fantastic grades. I did not--however, finish my pre-reqs while finishing that degree. In hindsight, I'm kicking myself--but I was barely a person during that horrid time in my life, and I've since bounced back. I decided to take a year off. I applied back to a (bit-more) prestigious University to go for the missing pre-reqs.

My BA in bio included: Gen chem I and II with labs, an upper-division statistics class, and a wide-array of different bio related, and humanities courses. I got an A in the classes mentioned. Ecology, and Cell Bio I ended up with B+. The majority of other classes I took were B+ to A + range for me. Grades were pretty solid.

I'm currently in Physics 1, Physics lab, Organic 1, and Organic lab. I'm doing... miserably. I excelled at my other university, and I am surely struggling with this one.

After countless hours of studying, tutors, practice problems galore--I failed my first physics midterm with a 41, 20 points below average. Let's face it--this sort of math is my WEAKNESS. We all have one. I will pull an A in every other bio class thrown at me--but I am having a really tough time. Organic is challenging (for... everyone) but I did score a 72 on that midterm, 4 points above average. I'm not in full-blown panic mode just yet. I have an A in both of the labs.

So, as a wrap-up, I have my BA in Bio already, but I'm missing Physics, Organic Chem, Bio Chem, and Micro. I did not take Calculus, but rather poured my time in a math I am much more interested in, and that was Stats. I'm currently on the brink of getting a C+ at best in physics, and MAYBE a B- in Orgo.

Clinic hours: Been a full-time/part-time vet assistant for almost 6 years, for two clinics. I'd say I've accrued well-over 8,000 clinic hours. Most of these have been in a mixed small animal/exotic practice, working with a board-certified avian DVM.

Animal Experience: 400+ hours interning at a local zoo, 200+ hours interning for a local primate sanctuary. Other experiences: vet internships, dog fostering, pet-sitting, TNVR volunteering. A few short-lived internships: horse-barn, baby martin banding, and bird-surveying field experience.

Volunteer: Primate Sanctuary volunteer work, community service, etc.

Extra-Curricular: Softball league, but not through my university.

I'm at a definite road block. I don't know if I'll make it past this semester, and I truly appreciate any input at all. Thank you in advance, and have a blessed day.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bit confused... how can we best help you? Are you looking for input on your chances if you continue at your current grade trajectory in physics? Overall advice on where your application stands at this point?

If the latter... I can tell you that your experience hours seem like the strongest portion of your application, but vet schools are going to need to see passing course grades in all pre-req courses. Period.

One C+ is probably going to be ok if the rest of your application is strong; a D or an F is not. You're in a bit of a tougher spot than you would be if those were back in undergrad because physics and orgo will be included in your last 45 credits, and some schools don't like to see downward trajectories.

We also all have things that are tougher for us...but a physics I equation showed up on my final exam this morning, and math in general shows up all the time.

The GPAs from your BA look good, granted your overall and science will probably change depending on how well you do in physics, o-chem, and biochem. Usually WAMC questions are best answered after you have completed all necessary pre requisites and have the GPAs that will be used on your application(s). Looking at class statistics posted by the veterinary schools you wish to apply to is also a great way to gauge how you stack up against the potential competition.

As far as not performing well in your current physics and o-chem courses, I would keep doing what you're doing and then do some more. Talk with your professors and get ideas from other students on how they approach the material. Get a study group going if you think that would help. Sometimes that material is more easily conquered in a group.

I can say having only been in veterinary school 2 months now, it is tough. The material load is relentless. I am studying pretty much any time I am not in class, eating, or sleeping, and even then I am sometimes studying in my head. It is harder than undergrad. Therefore, it is helpful to find study habits that work for you early, though even those will probably have to change once you're in veterinary school.

Good luck with your classes.