WAMC?? I would really appreciate your help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Penguin_MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Redacted for privacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just build up your clinical volunteering and I think you are golden for 90-95% of schools. Recommended schools:

All Texas MD schools
Rochester
Emory
Tulane
Drexel
Vermont
Case Western
Cincinnati
UMich
Dartmouth
1-2 reaches such as Northwestern

Just build up your clinical volunteering and I think you are golden for 90-95% of schools. Recommended schools:

All Texas MD schools
Rochester
Emory
Tulane
Drexel
Vermont
Case Western
Cincinnati
UMich
Dartmouth
1-2 reaches such as Northwestern
How much is ideal for clinical volunteering? Is it crazy to cut a few of the middle of nowhere Texas med schools? Because there are a lot of MD schools (9 or 10) in Texas

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is ideal for clinical volunteering? Is it crazy to cut a few of the middle of nowhere Texas med schools? Because there are a lot of MD schools (9 or 10) in Texas

There's not a hard guideline on volunteering hours, but I've read that it's advisable to have at least 150 clinical volunteering hours before applying; the more the better obviously.

You can cut a few Texas MD schools that you truly don't see yourself going to even if accepted. Goal is to apply to about 15-20 schools for best chances of admission into at least one MD school

There's not a hard guideline on volunteering hours, but I've read that it's advisable to have at least 150 clinical volunteering hours before applying; the more the better obviously.

You can cut a few Texas MD schools that you truly don't see yourself going to even if accepted. Goal is to apply to about 15-20 schools for best chances of admission into at least one MD school
Thank you so much for your help!! What other things count for clinical volunteering? A lot of the "non-clinical" volunteering I do is medically relevant but not technically clinical, and I'm not sure what else I could add into the mix for volunteering. I only have a couple more months but could squeeze some more in somewhere most likely. The hospital I volunteer at for pediatrics only allows 3 hours a week.

Apply to ALL your Texas MD schools and you should receive several interviews.
Would this not be someone who is considered a rock star applicant? I feel like he could aim really high, just needs some clinical experience.

OP is indeed a rock star. 200 clinical hours is what's recommended and OP only needs 53 more. Other activities and hours are stellar. Get some primary care shadowing. Get that done and you're competitive at places like Harvard.

Thank you so much for your help!! What other things count for clinical volunteering? A lot of the "non-clinical" volunteering I do is medically relevant but not technically clinical, and I'm not sure what else I could add into the mix for volunteering. I only have a couple more months but could squeeze some more in somewhere most likely. The hospital I volunteer at for pediatrics only allows 3 hours a week.
The SDN adage is that while volunteering, if you're close enough to smell the patient, that's clinical volunteering. If it's just medically relevant but you're not interacting with patients, then it's non-clinical.

Keep volunteering at your current position. AMCAS allows you to include projected hours with your total hours, so as long as you plan to continue with your 3 hr/week commitment throughout the application cycle, you should be fine.