WAMC In general?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mm215

Reaction score
Hi! I am a 22 year old re-applicant from Virginia!I graduated this May from the University of Tennessee majoring in Animal Science (pre-vet concentration). I was waitlisted last year at two schools. I had meetings with both of them to see what I could improve and they told me to gain more hours of experience so that's what I've been doing.
I know my GPA is low which worries me, but I'm hoping my experience will help a little. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated!

Currently my list is VA Tech, University of Tennessee, Michigan, Tuskegee, Auburn, maybe Georgia, Florida or LSU? However, I'm not really against any school in the US so if anybody has any suggestions or a place they think I can get in, please let me know! TYIA

Cumulative GPA: 3.46
science GPA: 3.3 (calculated myself so might be off_

Any degrees achieved: BS Animal Science, graduated May 2020

GRE results: 308

Veterinary Experience:
1,000 hours in a FearFree small animal clinic, and where I currently work so 40-45 more hours every week
20 hours shadowing a large animal vet

Animal Experience:
2000 hours at a large animal/equine/exotic animal farm
Currently working at horse farm looking after 4 horses for about 5 hours each week

Research Experience:
One semester as a research assistant in chickadee research project (professor's project)

Awards/scholarships:
OOS scholarship every semester of undergrad,
3 additional agriculture scholarships, including one for the veterinary science field,

Extracurriculars:
Sorority,
Pre-Vet club

Employment:
Campus ambassador/tour guide for university all throughout college and for the college of Agriculture (two separate jobs), was on exec board for campus,

Letter of Recommendations:
2 vets, 1 professor, Vet clinic Manager/owner, boss from farm I previously worked at, admissions boss from tour guide job

Any of these schools not worth applying to based on my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind my asking, which schools did you get waitlisted at and what was your last 45 hour GPA?

UGA accepts a small amount of OOS students (most classes are 70% IS (80 students), 17% contract seats (19 students), 13% OOS (15 students), although they just increased the class size from 114 to 125, I'm not sure which applicant pools they accepted more from). They highly value grades and do not have interviews, making it harder to shine through if you excel more in experience. I personally wouldn't recommend spending your money on UGA unless you have personal reasons for wanting to attend.

I believe you would have a decent chance at Auburn, I got an interview my first cycle with mediocre grades and MUCH lower veterinary hours than you have, although I didn't get in that time. After increasing my veterinary hours and getting my MPH I got into Auburn (definitely not saying a master's degree is necessary, I was just already planning on getting an MPH and took that time to make myself a better rounded applicant). I feel Auburn does a good job at looking at the applicant as a whole and holding value in unique experiences. I can't speak on the other schools, but I think you have a great amount of hours! If anything I would increase diversity in veterinary hours (although your diverse animal experiences help out with that) and ensure that you have REALLY SOLID recommendations.

Last edited:
If you don't mind my asking, which schools did you get waitlisted at and what was your last 45 hour GPA?

UGA accepts a small amount of OOS students (most classes are 70% IS (80 students), 17% contract seats (19 students), 13% OOS (15 students), although they just increased the class size from 114 to 125, I'm not sure which applicant pools they accepted more from). They highly value grades and do not have interviews, making it harder to shine through if you excel more in experience. I personally wouldn't recommend spending your money on UGA unless you have personal reasons for wanting to attend.

I believe you would have a decent chance at Auburn, I got an interview my first cycle with mediocre grades and MUCH lower veterinary hours than you have, although I didn't get in that time. After increasing my veterinary hours and getting my MPH I got into Auburn (definitely not saying a master's degree is necessary, I was just already planning on getting an MPH and took that time to make myself a better rounded applicant). I feel Auburn does a good job at looking at the applicant as a whole and holding value in unique experiences. I can't speak on the other schools, but I think you have a great amount of hours! If anything I would increase diversity in veterinary hours (although your diverse animal experiences help out with that) and ensure that you have REALLY SOLID recommendations.
Thank you so so much!! I was waitlisted at the University of Tennessee and Virginia Tech. That is really helpful! I definitely think I would do better under a holistic approach :) I'm trying to calculate that because I studied abroad in my Last 45 hour, so I'm trying to see how that translates back. If I had to guess I would say around a 3.4?
That is really helpful about Auburn. I feel really confident in my recommendations and will look into diversifying my vet hours!
Thank you again for your time and great advice! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so so much!! I was waitlisted at the University of Tennessee and Virginia Tech. That is really helpful! I definitely think I would do better under a holistic approach :) I'm trying to calculate that because I studied abroad in my Last 45 hour, so I'm trying to see how that translates back. If I had to guess I would say around a 3.4?
That is really helpful about Auburn. I feel really confident in my recommendations and will look into diversifying my vet hours!
Thank you again for your time and great advice! :)
You're welcome, and good luck!!