MD WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senjougahara

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should retake the MCAT. If you increase the two 123 sections to 125 you will not be screened out at many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you for your thoughts here. That was what I was hoping to do. Do you think that if I get around a 127 on those sections (like I did on my practice exams) and keep the other sections the same, the initial low scores would not keep me out?
The initial low scores of 123 will not matter if you score 127 on the retake.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not a committee member, but if I were I would be concerned as to why your BCPM is so high yet your Chem/Phys and Bio/Biochem scores are so low. That would be a major issue. I think a retake is absolutely necessary. Great job on CARS and P/S though!

Last edited:
@Faha @Goro OP is a mainlander but originally from Puerto Rico.

Dont you think he is extremely competitive for Puerto Rican schools with his stats ? GPA 3.9 and MCAT 506 . Can he apply for Puerto Rican schools if he is a mainlander ?

These are the 50th percentile MCAT and GPA for the 4 schools in Puerto Rico, and he is well above those numbers.

Do medical students who graduate from the Puerto Rican Schools also go through the ERAS for residency and are they considered similarly in the residency match ?

U. Puerto RicoSan JuanPR3.77503
U. ersidad CentralBayamonPRx3.77499
Ponce HealthPoncePRx3.65499
San Juan BautistaCaguas PR3.65498

Hi! Thank you for your response. Sorry, my OP was ambiguous. Just to clarify, I was born and live in US, but my parent's born in Puerto Rico! I'm planning to apply stateside only.
If you have good Spanish language skills, the pR schools should be considered.

And yes, those schools are LCME accredited. They are honest-to-Gawd US MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro @Faha So sorry for asking 2 more quick questions about this if you have the time!

The MSAR shows many schools have a median of 127 for CP and BB. Would I need to score a 131 for my CP/BB after my 123's to be at the median MCAT subscores for these schools due to averaging? Or would 127's on the second MCAT take qualify me to be at the "median" for these schools? Along with that, would getting a balanced 514 on a retake (as was my average on FL's) land me in a favorable position to get an MD acceptance somewhere despite the 506?
Those medians do not account for the fact that you are from a URM group.

Reactions: 1 user