WAMC? IS or OOS? c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlumPoppy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a rough start with school because of my family's financial difficulties. I have always maintained AT LEAST two jobs at a time during undergrad. My GPA has an upward trend, but I had to do all P's (my school gave us a choice) because my semester GPA would have been a 2.97. This past semester my grandfather had passed away, I developed a bacterial infection AND appendicitis at the same time, so my grades suffered a lot. Hoping to explain all this in my Explanation Statement without sounding whiny.

I just finished my B.S., and I am taking postbacc prereqs (like physics and biochem). I also accepted a position as a night-shift vet tech at an emergency clinic that I will be starting next week. I'm hoping to apply to vet schools for the c/o 2026 cycle!

22 y/o female, Louisiana resident

Definitely applying
: LSU, RossU
Considering applying to?: Mizzou, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma

Cumulative GPA: 3.39
Science GPA: 3.12 (I think?)
Last 45 Hour GPA: 3.48

Degree: B.S., Wildlife Ecology, Minor: Sociology

Veterinary Hours: (225 hours)
- Small animal hospital: 220 hours
- Emergency clinic: TBD (First day on Jun 3)
- Wildlife Sanctuary w/ Vet: 5 hours

Animal Hours: (553 hours)
- Small Animal Shelter: 50 hours
- Wildlife Sanctuary: 90 hours
- Raptor Rehab: 8 hours
- Exotic Pet Shelters: 40 hours
- Pet Setting: 200 hours
- Pilling Sick Personal Pets: 65 hours (Separated because I have had multiple ill pocket pets that needed daily medication for months)
- Personal Pets: 100 hours

Non-Animal Volunteer Experience: (189 hours)
- Hospital/shadowing RNs, CNAs, NTs: 120 hours
- Renovating the local library's YA section and promoting the project: 40 hours
- Various local marathons for a cause: 18 hours
- Shadowing an OBGYN: 6 hours
- Local "get healthy" fair set-up and face-painting: 5 hours

Non-Animal Work
- Lab assistant for agricultural chemistry dept (3+ years; current)
- GIS student worker (1+ year; current)
- Retail (2 years)
- Medical records at vet school (1 year)

Extracurriculars:
- Pre-Vet Club member: 2 years
- Wildlife Club member: 3 years
- Wildlife Club officer: 1 year
- Exotic Animal Club member: 2 years
- HS Key Club officer: 1 year
- HS Student Council officer: 1 year
- HS Beta Club member: 2 years

Honors:
- Dean's List (2 semesters)
- HS AP Scholar Award (2 years)

Letters of Recommendation:
- Hopefully from the ER vet I will be working with
- Supervisor of the lab I've worked at for 3+ years
- Professor that I've had for multiple classes in my major
- Options: vet from future experience?; other professors?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you only planning to apply to LSU? Or elsewhere as well?
Definately continue to get vet hours. Try expanding your experience to large animals if you can. Continue with your animal hours if you can.
I see lots of human experience in there and you might want to talk about that. Particularly why vet med?
For LOR make sure your vet can write you a STRONG LOR. Considering you're just starting working there if you have a good solid relationship established with another vet already that would be something to consider. Same thing goes for your third letter.
IDK what LSU or vet schools you might be applying to sGPA cutoffs are, but that might be a barrier for some schools-it just depends on the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you only planning to apply to LSU? Or elsewhere as well?

I'm open to going to most vet schools, but cost is a huge factor to me, which is why LSU would be my top choice. Thankfully, LSU only factors in required courses, science courses with an "A" grade, and last 45 hours GPA. Since my GPA isn't great, I'm probably looking at applying to more "holistic" admissions schools. Also, I would love to go to a school with a good exotics or wildlife department, though I know those are hard to come by. And that I can get good experience through externships, so that isn't as important as cost.

I see lots of human experience in there and you might want to talk about that. Particularly why vet med?

I was originally pre-med because anytime I would tell my family I wanted to be a vet, they told me to be a doctor instead because I would make more money. I went down that route for a good 3 years, but I realized my heart wasn't in it. I found myself always wanting to volunteer at animal shelters instead of nursing homes, or working at vet clinics instead of hospitals, etc. It wasn't until 2018 that I realized "Duh, you're an idiot. You want to be a vet," which is why most of my experience is very recent.

I'm trying to spend this time before the next school cycle really bulking up on experience. Particularly getting some large animal experience hopefully.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had multiple acceptances with a 3.06 cumulative GPA so it’s do-able! I used the explanation statement to talk about health issues I had as an undergrad. I had multiple people read it to make sure it was conveying the right message and it worked out! I’d be happy to share it with you if you’d like.

Applying to vet school with less than stellar grades means the rest of your application needs to be on point. Sounds like you’ll have a good # of ER hours before you apply and finding large animal experience would be icing on the cake. I’m not sure if there’s one around you, but therapeutic riding groups are a great way to get experience with horses. I spent a few years volunteering with one and loved it way more than I thought I would! Highly recommend :)

Do you have any upper level bio courses left to take? I was accepted to LSU as a non-resident and getting As in additional courses was my saving grace. I feel like they make it relatively easily to raise your required science GPA! And if you can squeak out a few more courses and do well that’ll help your last 45 GPA as well. Personally I really liked LSU’s evaluation process because you’re not SOL due to a poor cumulative GPA. I also really loved the school when I toured!

Reactions: 1 user
I had multiple acceptances with a 3.06 cumulative GPA so it’s do-able! I used the explanation statement to talk about health issues I had as an undergrad. I had multiple people read it to make sure it was conveying the right message and it worked out! I’d be happy to share it with you if you’d like.

Congratulations! And that would be awesome! Thank you so much! :)

Do you have any upper level bio courses left to take? I was accepted to LSU as a non-resident and getting As in additional courses was my saving grace. I feel like they make it relatively easily to raise your required science GPA! And if you can squeak out a few more courses and do well that’ll help your last 45 GPA as well. Personally I really liked LSU’s evaluation process because you’re not SOL due to a poor cumulative GPA. I also really loved the school when I toured!

I still have to take micro and biochem. Also physics I&II, so hopefully I can bump my sGPA up. Thank you for your encouragement!

All of my classmates that were admitted to LSU this cycle all had 3.8+ GPAs with tons of vet experience. But my friend (same major), who I thought for sure would get in, didn't! (She had a 3.5 GPA) So it definitely made me feel very worried and as if I had no chance! Especially since all of them have been pre-vet since high school or beyond, and I have only entered the game 2 years ago...

Last edited:

Applying to vet school with less than stellar grades means the rest of your application needs to be on point. Sounds like you’ll have a good # of ER hours before you apply and finding large animal experience would be icing on the cake. I’m not sure if there’s one around you, but therapeutic riding groups are a great way to get experience with horses. I spent a few years volunteering with one and loved it way more than I thought I would! Highly recommend :)

Could we talk about your experience, I could use the help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk