WAMC? Is this an okay school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClubbedPenguins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: Planning on early June

Overall GPA: 3.46

Science GPA: 3.49

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.49

DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 22 / TS: 21 / PAT: 23 / RC: 28 / QR: 18 / Bio: 21 / Chem: 19 / OC: 24

State of Residence: Arizona
Undergrad Attended: University of Portland

Major: Biology

Minor: Chemistry

Minority? No, 24 y/o White Male

Reapplicant? No

Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience: 150hrs, 100hrs with two different general dentists and 50hrs split between Periodontists, Oral surgeons and
Orthodontists.

Volunteering Experience: Clinical Research Assistant- 403hrs, Church caroling- 50 hrs, Early Childhood Educator- 50hrs, Science Museum Intern- 50 hrs, Lasting Indigenous Family Enrichment program volunteer (Helping address healthcare inequities in Native American communities) - 60hrs.
Employment: random jobs while in college (delivery driver)- 100hrs, Covid-19 screener at a Native American clinic- 200hrs, Covid-19 screener at a hospital- 350hrs, Phlebotomist at a Covid-19 testing site- 80hrs (got promoted to a Site Lead two weeks after I began and currently still work there)-1300hrs as a Site Lead.

Research: Clinical Research Assistant as mentioned above. No publications.

Other Extracurriculars: 4 different intramural sports (was team captain for two)- 50hrs, Fundraising (Virtual because of Covid, leadership-I put together the fundraisers)- 25hrs, Tough Mudder 10-mile race team captain- 40 hrs.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans List: Fall 2016, Fall 2017, Fall 2019, Spring 2020. Presidential Academic Scholarship: Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year (2016-2020).

LOR type and strength: 1 from an Oral surgeon (strong), 2 from science professors (medium), 1 from community service leader (medium)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Both of my parents are general dentist and graduated from The University of Iowa.
School list: I really want to get in my first time so I’m okay spending the extra money applying to more schools. Please let me know if there are any schools you think I should add or remove. OHSU is on there because I grew up in and went to college in Oregon (My family still lives there). Thanks in advance!

ATSU-ASDOH
Creighton
Case Western
LECOM
Loma Linda (I am Catholic)
Midwestern Az
Midwestern Il
NYU
Nova
OHSU
Roseman
Tufts
U of New England
U of Pacific
U of Iowa
Western U

Members don't see this ad.

Do your homework on which schools do a lot with rural or Native American communities so you can reduce your list a little. Otherwise good luck! Apply for NHSC if that is of interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do your homework on which schools do a lot with rural or Native American communities so you can reduce your list a little. Otherwise good luck! Apply for NHSC if that is of interest.
I will look in to that. Thank you!

Have you checked the prices on these schools? Are you aware that schools like NYU will cost you 600k+?
Ya it’s definitely not my first choice but if it’s the only one I get into then I will at least consider it. I am a Arizona resident and we don’t have a public school so that is forcing me to apply to a bunch of private schools unfortunately.