wamc - is this reasonable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

induk_manikaat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA = 3.71
sGPA = 3.63
MCAT score(s) 512 (even 128 on all sections)
State of residence = NJ
Ethnicity and/or race = Asian
Undergraduate institution = Ohio State/OH
Clinical experience = none
Research experience and productivity = ongoing 2 research topics (med school and mol. biology)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented = none
Non-clinical volunteering = 16 months with local hospital, non-clinical volunteer support
Other extracurricular activities = Nothing major / some greek leadership
Relevant honors or awards = nothing significant
Other/downside: C & D in org. chem I,II ... but got As in subsequent two Biochemistry courses

WAMC for
1. University of Pittsburgh/PA
2. Albert Einstein/NY
3. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor/MI
4. Boston University/MA

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA = 3.71
sGPA = 3.63
State of residence = NJ
Research experience and productivity = ongoing 2 research topics (med school and mol. biology)
Non-clinical volunteering = 16 months with local hospital, non-clinical volunteer support
Other/downside: C & D in org. chem I,II ... but got As in subsequent two Biochemistry courses

WAMC for
1. University of Pittsburgh/PA
2. Albert Einstein/NY
3. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor/MI
4. Boston University/MA

Your stats are okay-not spectacular! Your chances are very slim with no shadowing and no clinical experience. You need around 50 hours of shadowing, including a chunk of hours with primary care docs. You also need at least 100+ hours in direct patient contact clinical experience. It would be good to get some nonclinical experience with those less fortunate than yourself. This could be time helping at soup kitchens, homeless shelters, etc., something outside of your comfort zone.

Reactions: 1 users
As a first cut, my likely list of colleges are at the end. I'd like to bring the total # of colleges to 12, including the in-state.
can you chance me for the remaining 14 (and that will help choose the other 9).

repeating my stats -
cGPA = 3.71
sGPA = 3.63
State of residence = NJ

Instate -
Cooper Medical School of Rowan Univ
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

Out of State
Ohio State University
Loyola (Stritch)
Penn State
Virginia Commonwealth University
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
New York University , Valhalla
Albany Medical College
Drexel
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Thomas Jefferson University (Kimmel)
Temple University (Katz)

Members don't see this ad :)
You need direct patient contact experience and shadowing regardless of where you apply. It is unwise to apply without it.

@Goro says something like, "would you buy a car without test driving it". How do you really know you want to work with sick people if you haven't?

Reactions: 1 user
Applying with no shadowing and no clinical experience will leave you with almost zero chance. How do you even know that you want to be a physician, or that you are okay with spending all of your time with the sick and dying? How will you convince adcoms of this?

Also, when it actually comes time to apply, don't slim down your list. The application cycles of those with average, middle of the road applications necessarily involves applying to as many schools as possible.

Of your list, I recommend these. However, without shadowing or patient contact experience, you're DOA. Time for a little tough love:

This is not the application of a person who dearly wants to be a physician. It is the application of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient.

From the wise LizzyM: I am always reminded of a certain frequent poster of a few years ago. He was adamant about not volunteering as he did not want to give his services for free and he was busy and helping others was inconvenient. He matriculated to a medical school and lasted less than one year. He's now in school to become an accountant.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience. Frankly, if we were interviewing you at my school, my student interviewers would eat you alive.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Temple University (Katz)

Reactions: 2 users
As a first cut, my likely list of colleges are at the end. I'd like to bring the total # of colleges to 12, including the in-state.
can you chance me for the remaining 14 (and that will help choose the other 9).

repeating my stats -
cGPA = 3.71
sGPA = 3.63
State of residence = NJ

Instate -

Out of State
Ohio State University
Loyola (Stritch)
Penn State
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Georgetown University
Thomas Jefferson University (Kimmel)
Temple University (Katz)

Just because you added schools doesn’t make you more competitive. You still need shadowing and clinical experience. They are different and you need both.

oh boy! that was a reality check. humbled... and appreciate input from you all.
Re-assessing my workload and activities for the next 6 months.