WAMC-ish? How do I need to improve myself to matriculate to the schools of my dreams?

Apr 2, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Not taking the MCAT until the spring of 2019, but I'm the walking stereotype of a neurotic premed and I'm not sure if there is a better place to get this type of advice: how could I strengthen my application? What kind of MCAT score should I aim for if I want to go to certain schools?

cGPA (according to school, which includes +/-, although I know AMCAS does things differently? lol): 3.91, sGPA 4.0
MCAT score: :shifty: Does it count to say that I'm aiming for 515+? LOL
State of residence: A Midwestern state
Ethnicity and/or race: White
Undergraduate Institution: A generic state school
Clinical volunteer experience: ~250 hours of hospital volunteering with kiddos, going to start again in the summer!
Non-volunteer clinical experience: Just got hired as a scribe, no plans to quit in the next 2 years but I'm naive so who knows
Research experience and productivity: Oh boy. Well, my school isn't particularly renowned for research, but I've been working in labs since I was a sophomore. No publications, or even posters, which scares me because it can't look good to have been working in labs for over a year with nothing to show for it. This causes me SO much anxiety tbh, I'm going to fight to at least get a poster before I graduate.
Shadowing experience: Little to none. Not sure if I need a lot of this since I'll be scribing. I've heard mixed things, and I'd like some input here.
Non-clinical volunteering: ~50 hours at a family homeless shelter, plans to return next semester!
Other extracurricular activities: Vice president and now president of a university chapter of a (well-known? I like to think so) national nonprofit. Tutored ~introductory biology~ for one semester. Dance teacher on the side.
Relevant honors and awards: I got some student scholarship award for being smart, I guess.
Anything else: I worked as a daycare assistant at a "bilingual" preschool for a long time (i.e. some employees didn't speak English so I had to speak Spanish). I'm also taking a gap year.

School list:
Working on it, but it definitely includes Emory, Cornell, UCSD, UNC Chapel Hill? I think they have decent OOS percentages? I'm not even going to dream of trying for our state's top school because my undergrad institution is pretty much a less impressive, cheaper version of them in every way and they spurn plebs like us. The more I think about it, the less impressive I sound. Maybe I need a reality check.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Not taking the MCAT until the spring of 2019, but I'm the walking stereotype of a neurotic premed and I'm not sure if there is a better place to get this type of advice: how could I strengthen my application? What kind of MCAT score should I aim for if I want to go to certain schools?

cGPA (according to school, which includes +/-, although I know AMCAS does things differently? lol): 3.91, sGPA 4.0
Clinical volunteer experience: ~250 hours of hospital volunteering with kiddos, going to start again in the summer!
Non-volunteer clinical experience: Just got hired as a scribe, no plans to quit in the next 2 years but I'm naive so who knows
Research experience and productivity: Oh boy. Well, my school isn't particularly renowned for research, but I've been working in labs since I was a sophomore. No publications, or even posters, which scares me because it can't look good to have been working in labs for over a year with nothing to show for it. This causes me SO much anxiety tbh, I'm going to fight to at least get a poster before I graduate.
Shadowing experience: Little to none. Not sure if I need a lot of this since I'll be scribing. I've heard mixed things, and I'd like some input here.
Non-clinical volunteering: ~50 hours at a family homeless shelter, plans to return next semester!
Other extracurricular activities: Vice president and now president of a university chapter of a (well-known? I like to think so) national nonprofit. Tutored ~introductory biology~ for one semester. Dance teacher on the side.
Relevant honors and awards: I got some student scholarship award for being smart, I guess.
Anything else: I worked as a daycare assistant at a "bilingual" preschool for a long time (i.e. some employees didn't speak English so I had to speak Spanish). I'm also taking a gap year.

School list:
Working on it, but it definitely includes Emory, Cornell, UCSD, UNC Chapel Hill? I think they have decent OOS percentages? I'm not even going to dream of trying for our state's top school because my undergrad institution is pretty much a less impressive, cheaper version of them in every way and they spurn plebs like us. The more I think about it, the less impressive I sound. Maybe I need a reality check.
I assume you'r scribing in the ED? You'll want to have shadowing hours in a variety of specialties, so if this is the case maybe seek out an FM, obgyn, etc.

In terms of the research, not sure what more you can do outside of your efforts thus far.. I dont think having no publication would kill your chances at a top 20 school.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

School list:
Come back when you have an MCAT score, and then we can advise on your list

Jun 9, 2016
Status
Medical Student
There is no reason to downplay yourself like that, your undergraduate institution is not as important as you think for med school admissions (this is why the MCAT exists). You ask how to improve yourself - get shadowing hours in, stay committed to a clinical and nonclinical activity, and stop stressing over your research. Most undergrads don't get published, posters are okay but not the end of the world if you don't have one.
Right now, your main focus should be scoring as high as possible on the MCAT.

About the Ads