Aug 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey y'all. I'm not planning on applying for a while, I'm currently in my Junior year and plan to take 2 gap years. I wanted to go ahead throw out what my application looks like now to see what I can improve going forward. I am aware that my non-clinical hours are low. Is that going to be an issue considering my clinical volunteering hours?

Additionally, an MD/PhD is something I have been considering for a while. Is my application shaping up to be competitive for that?

Major: Biochemistry with a certificate in Scientific Computation
1) cGPA = 3.9157 sGPA = 3.895
2) MCAT 523, C&P 132, CARS 129, B&B 132, P&S 130
3) Texas
4) White, Jewish
5) Flagship state school
6) Clinical Experience: 764 hours total, 412 Compensated, 352 Volunteer
EMT Training: Summer 2019 - 72 hours clinical rotations.
EMT- Rural: Spring 2020-Current - 72 hours. Volunteer
Temperature Screener: Spring 2020 - Fall 2020 - 340 hours. Paid (COVID screening for employees in city infrastructure.)
Vaccinator: January 2021-Present: 280 hours. Volunteer (Administering COVID vaccine. Also helping with mixing and logistics.)
7) Research Experience: 374 hours total
Wet-Lab Research: Spring 2019-Fall 2019 - 224 Hours (Lab focusing on RNA)
Bioinformatics Research: Spring 2020 - Present: 150 hours (Genetics and Evolution possible wet lab as school reopens)
No productivity yet, but the bioinformatics lab will become my senior thesis next year.
8) Shadowing: 40 hours total
ENT: 8 hours
Geriatric Primary Care: 16 hours
Infectious Disease: 16 hours
9) Non-clinical volunteering: 72 hours Total
Fraternity philanthropy events: 2018 - Present: 72 hours
10) Other extracurricular activities:
Fraternity Academic and Leadership chair: Spring 2019 - Fall 2019
Campus EMS Research Chair: Fall 2019 - Spring 2020 (Presented research at club meetings)
Campus EMS Logistics and Research Lead: Present (It's a separate position than the previous one for a committee that's preparing a report to go to various officials)
University Chorus: Spring 2019 - Spring 2020. (University Choir. Shut down when pandemic started)
Very involved in local Jewish community.
11) Honors or awards:
Campus GPA based honors lists
Will be applying for departmental honors
12) Anything else
I plan to take two gap years.
One year will be studying ethics in Israel, and I plan to volunteer with the Israeli EMS service while there. I'd imagine that since I'll be studying ethics the program will give me ample opportunity to get some substantive non-clinical volunteering as well.
The second year will be doing something productive in the States while I apply to medical school. Hopefully I get some sort of research fellowship but a clinical job would work if that failed.

Thanks for reading. Let me know if I can provide other information

Last edited:
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.