WAMC - Kinda confident because I know my strengths and what still needs work but any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teeth!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: I applied this cycle but applied super late and only to five schools - wasn’t really expecting to get in but figured it was worth a try.
Overall GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.2
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: Probably same as science
Graduate: Finishing up right now, will be around 3.5-3.6 at a pretty tough program that has a strong track record.
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA, 19TS, 19 Bio, 17 GC, 19 OC, 22 RC, 19 QR and 18 PAT.
I really feel like I could take this up to a 21/22 and plan on retaking it to in late June.
State of Residence: MA

Major:Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Kind haha see not above
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: I think this is my major issue - have none right now. Working on getting into offices but COVID is making it super hard. Should be able to get to 50-75 hours by application is in.
Also have 200 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon but clearly thats useless now.
Volunteering Experience: 250 Hours - Food Pantry and Tutor
Employment: Bunch of random irrelevant stuff
Research: Probably like 500 hours, 1 publication coming, both lab work and research
Other Extracurriculars: Club basketball president, tutoring stuff
Relevant Honors or Awards: N/A
LOR type and strength: Cancer Bio Professor, Microbio Professor, Masters biochemistry Professor. All three are close and pretty strong I’d say.
School list:
Expanding my list from 5 schools haha
Tufts
BU
NYU
U New England
U Maryland
Colorado
Stony Brook
Rutgers
Temple
Columbia
UConn
Buffalo
U Pitt
Case Western
UoP
Touro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: I applied this cycle but applied super late and only to five schools - wasn’t really expecting to get in but figured it was worth a try.
Overall GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.2
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: Probably same as science
Graduate: Finishing up right now, will be around 3.5-3.6 at a pretty tough program that has a strong track record.
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA, 19TS, 19 Bio, 17 GC, 19 OC, 22 RC, 19 QR and 18 PAT.
I really feel like I could take this up to a 21/22 and plan on retaking it to in late June.
State of Residence: MA

Major:Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Kind haha see not above
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: I think this is my major issue - have none right now. Working on getting into offices but COVID is making it super hard. Should be able to get to 50-75 hours by application is in.
Also have 200 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon but clearly thats useless now.
Volunteering Experience: 250 Hours - Food Pantry and Tutor
Employment: Bunch of random irrelevant stuff
Research: Probably like 500 hours, 1 publication coming, both lab work and research
Other Extracurriculars: Club basketball president, tutoring stuff
Relevant Honors or Awards: N/A
LOR type and strength: Cancer Bio Professor, Microbio Professor, Masters biochemistry Professor. All three are close and pretty strong I’d say.
School list:
Expanding my list from 5 schools haha
Tufts
BU
NYU
U New England
U Maryland
Colorado
Stony Brook
Rutgers
Temple
Columbia
UConn
Buffalo
U Pitt
Case Western
UoP
Touro
too many public/state schools...

What would you suggest adding or taking away?
i suggest adding private schools and taking away public schools
it really depends if you can get to the 21/22 you are saying you "feel" you "could" get