WAMC- low gpa, 31mcat, high SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzapie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.1sgpa, 3.25 cgpa, 3.7aogpa, 3.9 at Tufts SMP, 31 (10,11phys,10), lots ECs
background: went to hard-marking undergrad- terrible first year, failed cal-D chem, retook for A and B, 3.5s other year, pretty much took all science courses where B+ is top mark at school,senior year all As; several summers research, a few pubs, lots shadowing and volunteer work, incl abroad and some school leadership; Maryland res.
-so far reject from USC, BU, Georgetown, Tulane, Pritzker, no 2ndry Indiana; applied to 30 schools, compete between late aug and now, and waiting for DO to verify.
-Any chance at MD? is it too late to finish a few more 2ndry I received or for DO?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied broadly looking for those that interview >10% OOS - Albany, Einstein, Drexel, EVMS, GW, Hofstra, Jefferson, MCWisc, NYMC, Penn state, Ros Frank, Temple, Miami, Vermont, Toledo, Quinn, Ucinn, VCU, Rush, Received but not yet completed Creighton, Colorado, Mich state, ohio state, marshall or UIll
Is it worth it at this time? What about DO-it's taking a long time to verify?
I don't really have a stat range since no one seems to accept 3.1 sGPA and despite getting mostly As and B+ in later years- GPA budge much. Does no one really take into account difficulty of school or program or success in SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all schools reward reinvention, but some do. You applied to some really good schools and they can afford to ignore. However, Tufts, Albany, Drexel, Rosy F, NYMC seem to like applicants like you. Quality of SMP we don't look at, only how well you do.

I think you'll be fine for any DO program, including mine.

In the mean time, hang tight.

I applied broadly looking for those that interview >10% OOS - Albany, Einstein, Drexel, EVMS, GW, Hofstra, Jefferson, MCWisc, NYMC, Penn state, Ros Frank, Temple, Miami, Vermont, Toledo, Quinn, Ucinn, VCU, Rush, Received but not yet completed Creighton, Colorado, Mich state, ohio state, marshall or UIll
Is it worth it at this time? What about DO-it's taking a long time to verify?
I don't really have a stat range since no one seems to accept 3.1 sGPA and despite getting mostly As and B+ in later years- GPA budge much. Does no one really take into account difficulty of school or program or success in SMP?

Not all schools reward reinvention, but some do. You applied to some really good schools and they can afford to ignore. However, Tufts, Albany, Drexel, Rosy F, NYMC seem to like applicants like you. Quality of SMP we don't look at, only how well you do.

I think you'll be fine for any DO program, including mine.

In the mean time, hang tight.

Goro, so ADCOMs typically focus on your grades rather than the specific SMP you attend (e.g. Georgetown vs. EVMS)?

In case anyone is interested, did get an interview at Tufts, scheduled for Jan; on hold at GW, Vermont, Drexel, state school, and just got an II at Creighton 24 hours after sending an update with 2 more publications. Still waiting on 20 schools, rejected from 10 to date, incl RF, Tulane, Hostra, MCW, BU. Keeping my fingers crossed that Tufts will accept me!

Reactions: 1 user
There are MD schools that reward reinvention, but I worry that your <avg MCAT will hurt that. Suggest sticking with only low-tier schools and all new programs (MD), and all DO programs. The latter are much more likely than the former.

3.1sgpa, 3.25 cgpa, 3.7aogpa, 3.9 at Tufts SMP, 31 (10,11phys,10), lots ECs
background: went to hard-marking undergrad- terrible first year, failed cal-D chem, retook for A and B, 3.5s other year, pretty much took all science courses where B+ is top mark at school,senior year all As; several summers research, a few pubs, lots shadowing and volunteer work, incl abroad and some school leadership; Maryland res.
-so far reject from USC, BU, Georgetown, Tulane, Pritzker, no 2ndry Indiana; applied to 30 schools, compete between late aug and now, and waiting for DO to verify.
-Any chance at MD? is it too late to finish a few more 2ndry I received or for DO?

Hi there, I have been meaning to post. Cycle going great cuz it only takes one - I applied about a month late, with most secondaries complete September. Got first ii right away from Tufts where I did my SMP, scheduled for Jan and got accepted a few weeks later. FYI I did get straight As in the SMP, with one A-; the interview was so casual, as if I was already a sure thing. I sent an update to most schools with 2 new publications in late dec and got ii from Creighton a few days later; also ii from EVMS, WAYNE STATE, QUINNIPIAC, but those came in the last few weeks and I withdrew. Also applied late to 3 DO schools and got an interview at PCOM in Jan but withdrew after Tufts acceptance. I was small pooled/pre-ii-held from about 10 more mid-tier schools and silence from about 8 more. For future applicants with low stats: I think key is applying very early, getting into your state school ( im on hold there), or choosing your SMP wisely. I have defintitely noticed third time applicants with fairly low stats applying June 1 and getting multiple II and acceptances to even top schools. And you never know - I do have one friend who didn't do that well in the SMP, did not get interview from Tufts, but got accepted to NYMC. So even though I honestly thought I would get more iis, it only takes one and I loved Tufts and am still jumping up&down. Good Luck, ask me anything.

Reactions: 1 users