WAMC? low gpa, average DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

munchytoasty11

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first time posting on SDN. I was hoping to get some suggestions to improve my application.

Here are my stats as of right now.

Date of submission: June 11, verified June 15
Major: Neuro
Asian, TX resident
Overall GPA: 3.11
Science : 3.01
Good LOR : 3 from science professors, 1 from my dentist

DAT: I messed up by not sleeping for two days before taking the exam bc I was anxious!
AA 21
TS 20
GC 20
OC 21
BIO 19
QR 23
RC 20
PAT 22

Shadowing: 300 hours, general dentistry
Volunteering: Couldn't volunteer at a hospital because of COVID19, but volunteered at local church ~270 hours, random volunteer opportunities ~50 hours
Employment: Currently a Dental Assistant, worked at multiple jobs previously (Car dealership, Verizon, State Farm, small utility business)
Extracurriculars: President/founder of a health org not related to dentistry, vice president, volunteer, fundraising at multiple orgs
First gen immigrant, First gen college student, family with really low income.

I had a really low gpa during first two years of college (dad passed away during freshman year, mom lost her business about a month later => no source of income => evicted, cars repossessed => had to work 30+ hours a week => no time or space to study => 3 Fs, 4 Ds, and bunch of Cs. Became depressed, hospitalized twice, prescribed anti-depressant. Stopped taking it after sophomore year, and I started to show a really strong upward trend. I tried my butt off with a lot course load during last 3 semesters (18 hours in summer, 21 in fall, 22 in Spring bc I needed to retake my Fs, Ds, and Cs). Overall, I took 156 hours, and last 70 hours are 3.8. I wrote my personal statement and other essays with professional help.

Future Plan:
I plan to take 30 more hours of upper level science courses in upcoming Fall and Spring as post-bacc because I couldn't get into SMP. I'm currently studying to retake the DAT for a 23+ next month because I think it's manageable. I applied to 24 schools (4 tx schools, and 20 with a lot of oos friendly schools), but I think my stats make all schools I've applied reach schools.

Am I doomed for this cycle? What other things can I do to improve my application?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you did all you could, you are not doomed
trust the process

Reactions: 2 users
Apply broadly and i think you have decent chance, especially with such an upward trend. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
what schools are you applying? your stats are very similar with mine
Hey! How are you? I applied to all TX schools, UNLV, VCU, UNLV, Pitt, some expensive private schools like Nova, MWU AT Still, and couple public schools up in Northeast! Again, my stats make all of the schools reach schools, so I’m applying to as many as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
No, I have not. I planned to take it end of this month, but I might postpone it to a later date.
Hi, I have somewhat similar stats but didn't apply this cycle. Have you retaken the DAT and/or heard any news yet? And do you consider post-bacs?

Status
Not open for further replies.