WAMC - Low GPA, Decent DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PersianPrince14

Reaction score
Currently enrolled in an MBA program. Just want to know my chances.

Overall GPA: 3.19(not including MBA)
Overall GPA Including MBA: 3.5
Science GPA: 2.50
All Prerequisite minimum grade received (B-) rest are all above(B to A-), besides biochem (F, first time and retook to receive D), and anatomy(I/II) (D+/D+) which is why I have the low sGPA

DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 21, TS 21, BIO 22, OC 22, GC 21, QR 20, RC 23, PAT 22
State of Residence: CT
University Studied: UConn
MBA Program: UConn

Major:
Bio
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 105+ hours
School Experience: Chem/OChem teacher assistant/tutor (1.5 yrs)
Volunteering Experience: 30+ hours
Employment: Worked at a pharmaceutical company creating toothpaste, mouthwash, oral creams, and whitening gels
3-Months of doing Clinical lab work for (Covid)

School list:
BU
UConn
Tufts
NYU
Tufts
Minnesota

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not tryna be too mean but chances are very low with the low science gpa. That number really needs to be above a 3 to have a decent shot. Dental school is all science classes atleast in the didactic years so they want to take ppl who they think will excel. Tbh dude you have an mba you can get a very high paying job it might be easier to do that, but if you're dead set on dental you'd probably have to do a masters. Sorry for the bad news

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with the above poster, gonna have to bring up that science GPA and definitely gonna need more volunteering. I’m pretty sure you’re gonna have to retake some of those prereqs that you got D’s in as well, as schools usually require a C-/C or above to count them. Even after that though, expand your school list as you will need to apply broadly to get in with your GPA, target OOS friendly schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above poster, gonna have to bring up that science GPA and definitely gonna need more volunteering. I’m pretty sure you’re gonna have to retake some of those prereqs that you got D’s in as well, as schools usually require a C-/C or above to count them. Even after that though, expand your school list as you will need to apply broadly to get in with your GPA, target OOS friendly schools.
Do you think I should go about still applying?

I'm not sure a MBA is the best plan for attending dental school? I doubt there will be any science classes thus it will not help your science GPA which might get you auto rejected at a lot of schools.

You will need a SMP. The science GPA is radioactive despite your DAT. You need to show you can do well in hard science classes. Also the volunteer hours are not going to help give faculty an idea that you want to actually work with and help people in need.

Reactions: 1 users
curious what interested you in the MBA in the first place? the journey to get into dental school will likely take you 2-3 years minimum. something to consider.

curious what interested you in the MBA in the first place? the journey to get into dental school will likely take you 2-3 years minimum. something to consider.
Was working in Pharmaceutical/Bio-Tech since graduating, thought that even if I went and did a Science Masters that I wouldn't get accepted, so decided to get MBA. Another deciding factor was that I believed it would help me to stand out more

Reactions: 1 user