WAMC low gpa first-time applicant (what to do next)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmedsince2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I got rejected by all of the schools I applied to, I received my last rejection email today. I’m very disappointed but I’ve wanted to be a vet since I was 2 years old so I’m not giving up. Anyways my main problem was my low gpa, since applying I have been able to raise it in my last two semesters but it’s still not enough.

I’m graduating from my university this may and now I’m stuck with the question of what to do next. My Initial plan was to just take some undergrad courses and do some retakes to rebuild my gpa. But now I’m thinking of doing a vet technician program as I believe that it will help me get a lot of experience in the field. However, I’m not sure if the credits I get in the program will count towards my gpa. I know that Guelph has a policy that they don’t take credits from certificate programs or diplomas but I’m not sure about other schools.

My question is, do you know if the credits from taking a diploma program in veterinary technology will count towards your GPA when applying to vet school? Also I wouldn’t mind if you gave your thoughts on which route you think would make more sense for applying.

Members don't see this ad.

All the classes you take will be going through your overall GPA no matter what program you are in. Speaking of going to vet tech program, I have asked my vet I worked with the same question before I applied to vet school, and she told me that going to vet tech program will not help you increase the chance to get accepted in vet school if you can’t get straight As in the program, I am not sure if that’s exaggerated but I can see the reason. Vet tech program has different focus than vet school do in the career and usually the curriculum is less intense than vet school. You are learning to become a vet but what the vet tech program teaches you is how to best support the vet. Additionally, there are ways to get the experience, so there is no need to going to the vet tech program. Rather than taking vet tech program, I would suggest to retake the prerequisites that you did not do well or looking for some master programs to show you can handle the hard classes in the advance degree.

Last edited:
I would confirm with the schools that you are interested in whether or not they consider vet tech programs in your gpa calculations. Most do not allow vet tech classes to fulfill pre-req's.

Agree with wayne that if vet school is the ultimate goal that you are better off retaking pre-req's and/or taking more upper level science classes to raise your gpa's.

I suggest doing a full WAMC post with your stats to receive more detailed advice on matching your application to possible schools.

Reactions: 1 user