MD & DO WAMC - Low GPA, high MCAT and ok SMP

Newlearner2017

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I need advise on what are chances to get into MD or DO schools and how many schools I apply to. I am resident of OH and I am planning to apply to all OH AMCAS/DO schools in 2021 application cycle, I have list of 40 MD and 15 DO school I want to trim-down. I have the following stats:

1. GPA 3.0 undergraduate in Neuroscience from JHU
2. MCAT 515 (1 attempt)
3. SMP 3.3 to 3.4 (finishing end of this month)
4. strong EC

I appreciate your guidance.

Last edited:
About the Ads
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I need advise on what are chances to get into MD or DO schools and how many schools I apply to. I am resident of OH and I am planning to apply to all OH AMCAS/DO schools in 2021 application cycle, I have list of 40 MD and 15 DO school I want to trim-down. I have the following stats:

1. GPA 3.0 undergraduate in Neuroscience from JHU
2. MCAT 515 (1 attempt)
3. SMP 3.3 to 3.4 (finishing end of this month)
4. strong EC

I appreciate your guidance.
Stick to DO schools only, and maybe your state MD school.

Newlearner2017

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I am considering doing the following to improve my stats. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

1. Retake MCAT: I feel I am better prepared to take MCAT after my SMP some time this summer
2.Take more master level courses: If I take more master level science courses, would these courses will report along with SMP GPA?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
I am considering doing the following to improve my stats. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

1. Retake MCAT: I feel I am better prepared to take MCAT after my SMP some time this summer
2.Take more master level courses: If I take more master level science courses, would these courses will report along with SMP GPA?

Thanks
Like a post bacc? If a post bacc they would probably be added to your uGPA but I’m not sure. The real issue is that you didn’t do well in the SMP. SMPS are high stakes-high rewards. It is a backdoor into med school and you didn’t smash it. MD ADCOMS are likely to have serious reservations about your ability to deal with the rigors of med school. A MCAT retake isn’t a good idea. What if your score goes down?
Maybe you should just apply to DO schools and see what happens. I think your chances for MD are very slim. And based on your SMP taking grad level science courses, it’s doubtful that you would be able to enhance your GPAs enough to make a difference.

Shotapp

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
GA
  1. Pre-Medical

Thanks
What's wrong with you? Don't even think of retaking that MCAT!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Newlearner2017

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
Like a post bacc? If a post bacc they would probably be added to your uGPA but I’m not sure. The real issue is that you didn’t do well in the SMP. SMPS are high stakes-high rewards. It is a backdoor into med school and you didn’t smash it. MD ADCOMS are likely to have serious reservations about your ability to deal with the rigors of med school. A MCAT retake isn’t a good idea. What if your score goes down?
Maybe you should just apply to DO schools and see what happens. I think your chances for MD are very slim. And based on your SMP taking grad level science courses, it’s doubtful that you would be able to enhance your GPAs enough to make a difference.
Thanks! I will focus on DO school and 3 to4 my state schools.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.