MD & DO WAMC - Low GPA, high MCAT and ok SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newlearner2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advise on what are chances to get into MD or DO schools and how many schools I apply to. I am resident of OH and I am planning to apply to all OH AMCAS/DO schools in 2021 application cycle, I have list of 40 MD and 15 DO school I want to trim-down. I have the following stats:

1. GPA 3.0 undergraduate in Neuroscience from JHU
2. MCAT 515 (1 attempt)
3. SMP 3.3 to 3.4 (finishing end of this month)
4. strong EC

I appreciate your guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Strong MCAT for sure, but your SMP performance is not a great look with that 3.0 in UG. Would probably focus on DO. MD is most likely out at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest adding these DO schools:
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
LECOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
You could receive interviews at some of your Ohio state MD schools-Toledo, NEOMED, Wright State.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest adding these DO schools:
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
LECOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
You could receive interviews at some of your Ohio state MD schools-Toledo, NEOMED, Wright State.
Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

I need advise on what are chances to get into MD or DO schools and how many schools I apply to. I am resident of OH and I am planning to apply to all OH AMCAS/DO schools in 2021 application cycle, I have list of 40 MD and 15 DO school I want to trim-down. I have the following stats:

1. GPA 3.0 undergraduate in Neuroscience from JHU
2. MCAT 515 (1 attempt)
3. SMP 3.3 to 3.4 (finishing end of this month)
4. strong EC

I appreciate your guidance.
Stick to DO schools only, and maybe your state MD school.

I am considering doing the following to improve my stats. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

1. Retake MCAT: I feel I am better prepared to take MCAT after my SMP some time this summer
2.Take more master level courses: If I take more master level science courses, would these courses will report along with SMP GPA?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
I am considering doing the following to improve my stats. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

1. Retake MCAT: I feel I am better prepared to take MCAT after my SMP some time this summer
2.Take more master level courses: If I take more master level science courses, would these courses will report along with SMP GPA?

Thanks
Like a post bacc? If a post bacc they would probably be added to your uGPA but I’m not sure. The real issue is that you didn’t do well in the SMP. SMPS are high stakes-high rewards. It is a backdoor into med school and you didn’t smash it. MD ADCOMS are likely to have serious reservations about your ability to deal with the rigors of med school. A MCAT retake isn’t a good idea. What if your score goes down?
Maybe you should just apply to DO schools and see what happens. I think your chances for MD are very slim. And based on your SMP taking grad level science courses, it’s doubtful that you would be able to enhance your GPAs enough to make a difference.

Thanks
What's wrong with you? Don't even think of retaking that MCAT!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Like a post bacc? If a post bacc they would probably be added to your uGPA but I’m not sure. The real issue is that you didn’t do well in the SMP. SMPS are high stakes-high rewards. It is a backdoor into med school and you didn’t smash it. MD ADCOMS are likely to have serious reservations about your ability to deal with the rigors of med school. A MCAT retake isn’t a good idea. What if your score goes down?
Maybe you should just apply to DO schools and see what happens. I think your chances for MD are very slim. And based on your SMP taking grad level science courses, it’s doubtful that you would be able to enhance your GPAs enough to make a difference.
Thanks! I will focus on DO school and 3 to4 my state schools.

Reactions: 1 user