WAMC Low GPA, non-traditional, first time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moony22

CSU MS/DVM 2028
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First time posting a thread here. I am applying to vet school for the first time this cycle, I don't think my chances are great, but I am applying anyways to see what happens. I am 24 years old and non-traditional. Ohio resident. I appreciate any advice!

Thinking about Applying to: SGU, Ross, Washington, Minnesota, LMU, Kansas, Long Island, Iowa, Michigan, Oklahoma, Virginia, Western

Not sure if there are any other schools I may have a chance at but these are what I'm thinking right now. I am going to focus on ones that put more weight on last 45 or pre-reqs since my cGPA is below a 3.0.

Cumulative GPA: Calculated on my own is a 2.95 -this is because of my poor performance when I first went to college and since I never thought I was going to go to vet school, I didn't try as much.
science GPA: 2.9
last 45: 3.3
Pre-req gpa is around a 3.3 as well-most of the schools I'm applying to have the same pre-reqs

Any degrees achieved:
BFA in Film; Certificate in Directing for Film/TV; BS Animal Science, Biology, Chemistry; Minor: Intercultural Studies

GRE results: Haven't taken this yet.

Veterinary Experience & Animal Experience:
I have close to 10K hours in small animal, exotics, equine, wildlife

Research Experience: None

Awards/scholarships:
-Deans list about 6 times
-Scholarship for a study abroad program
-Presidential Scholarship
-Awarded 3 different grants
-Philanthropy award

Extracurriculars:
-Film Club
-Winterfilm Festival where I was a leader on a project (2 years)
-Pre-vet club
-CFFA
-Student Ambassador for my schools community outreach center
-Very involved with ASL club and the Deaf community
-Herpetology club
-Horseback riding
-Piano

Volunteer:
-Nursing home activity volunteer. I would accompany residents to art museums every month
-Animal shelter
-Cincinnati Literacy Network- tutoring English and STEM subjects at inner city schools
-ASL Tutor
-Food pantry

Employment:
-
Vet assistant for 6 months at a clinic-not sure if I should put this in my application though because the clinic was extremely toxic and no one ever really lasted there because of it.
-I am an owner of a wedding videography company that I started when I was 17
-Associate videographer for another wedding company (3 yr)
-Server (4 years)
-Server at another place for 4 months
-Receptionist at a boarding facility (1 year)
-Lead toddler teacher at a daycare (1 year)
-Wildlife Intern at a museum for a summer
-Content tutor at my college
-ASL TA and Tutor at my college
-Target for holiday season one year
-Home Goods one summer
-Hotel Front Desk
-Intern for a film festival

Disadvantage Statement: I am going to explain why my GPA is poor in my disadvantage statement due to me having to work throughout the school to help support my parents who have an alcohol addiction so they did not become homeless. My dad also died from Covid and that had an impact on my grades. I was also being stalked my very first year of college and it caused me to never be able to go to class because I was being threatened so much and the police were not taking me seriously.

Essay: For my essay, I am going to talk about how I decided to become a veterinarian because when I was younger my household was hard to grow up in and my animals are what helped me get through my childhood. Without veterinarians that offered affordable care, I would have never been able to have any of my animals. That had a big impact on me and I want to be a vet to give back to people that need affordable care. I am also extremely involved in the Deaf community and I would like to open a practice one day in an area where the Deaf community is prevalent so they can have access to better care. I am going to mention some other things as well but that is one idea I had when writing my first couple drafts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I see you haven't taken the GRE yet, when do you plan on taking it? Both Ross and Ok State are still requiring the GRE. Other than that it can be kind of a crap shoot for the other schools depending on their cut off gpas. SGU is a definate yes for applying, WSU I would axe as they admit only around 10 OOS applicants. Another school to potential axe would be both Kansas and Long Island, Kansas for having a very high science GPA average and Long Island will give preferance to those with 3.0 and above gpas. Minnesota, LMU, Michigan, and Western could be the most benefical. Iowa and Virgina could go either way.

Reminder that just because you meet the minimum gpa or even the average gpa of the previous class doesn't mean you'll get in. You could be denied for other reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Michigan State requires cGPA and science GPA to be over 3.0, or at least they did last cycle. They would definitely be a good option for you if you can somehow get your GPAs above a 3.0, since after that they don't take it into consideration, but if not unfortunately you won't be moved on to file review.

Reactions: 2 users
I see you haven't taken the GRE yet, when do you plan on taking it? Both Ross and Ok State are still requiring the GRE. Other than that it can be kind of a crap shoot for the other schools depending on their cut off gpas. SGU is a definate yes for applying, WSU I would axe as they admit only around 10 OOS applicants. Another school to potential axe would be both Kansas and Long Island, Kansas for having a very high science GPA average and Long Island will give preferance to those with 3.0 and above gpas. Minnesota, LMU, Michigan, and Western could be the most benefical. Iowa and Virgina could go either way.

Reminder that just because you meet the minimum gpa or even the average gpa of the previous class doesn't mean you'll get in. You could be denied for other reasons.
Thanks for the suggestions! I am planning to take it in June. I will be reevaluating where I apply now. This is only my junior year technically so there is still another year left for me to raise my gpa if I don't get in the first time.