WAMC Low GPA/okay MCAT nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestudiousmeathead

Son of Odin
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious as to what you folks think my shot is this cycle.

cGPA 3.1x/sGPA 2.9x
MCAT 505

The other stuff: I decided to pursue medicine at 21 after shadowing on a whim and a powerful experience with a cancer pt. Had failed out of college prior, hence the low grades. Went back and did a bio degree in three years, managed around a 3.4.

EC's: ~1500 hours scribing, two months as a trainer. 500 volunteer hours coaching high school sports, 100 volunteer CNA hours, 200 shadowing/10 specialties, some awards as a musician, research. Strong letters including one medical director for each (but everybody has strong letters right?).

Applied to DMUCOM, MUCOM, CCOM, ATSUCOM, KYCOM, and MCW-GB regional campus Interested in rural medicine.

Do your worst SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your low sGPA could result in your application being screened out at some schools. Consider adding all these DO schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
Also take a few science courses at a local college in the coming year in order to raise your sGPA above 3.0 in case you need to reapply next year.

Reactions: 1 user
@Faha thank you! I plan on doing A&P this fall/spring, should pop me just over a 3.0. I appreciate the school list and will add on to my applications.