WAMC Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FinallyHereWeGo20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I think my app is about to be verified soon so I would like some help with my school list and what my chances look like. After looking more closely at my stats, I am in a worse place than I anticipated so any advice is appreciated!

URM- AA, Female, immigrant, Non-trad (a few years out of school)
Undergrad: Top 30 school
Major: Neuroscience, Psych
cGPA- 3.33
sGPA- 3.2
Post-bac gpa: 30 credits, 3.9 (8 non-science) but quarter system instead of semesters like my undergrad, weighted less. This realization is what messed up my view of my gpa - I thought it was higher ~3.4 than it actually is and its throwing me off :cryi:
Based off number of credits in my GPA, I would need 8 quarter term classes at with all As to get my cGPA to 3.4 ( considering for next cycle if this cycle doesn’t look good by winter term but could also start with Fall if that’s better?)

MCAT- 511 - 126/129/128/128 - could retake in Sept b/c my cars and p/s are usually around 131 and my chem could be better but I don’t think that would be helpful for this cycle

LizzyM score: 64.3
Wedge: 69
LOR: 2 science, 1 non science, 1 volunteering, 2 research
Research- 2 years on research undergrad, 3 years of research full time - 3 pub., 1 poster at regional conference
Clinical- ~400 hours of enrolling patients into clinical trials in ED, opportunity to shadow in between
Shadowing- Primary Care - 50 hours, was planning on adding more but COVID
Other/Leadership- ~1000 hours for non-profit targeting my immigrant community (helped found ), TA for upper level neuro, significant leadership roles on campus and non science related jobs, political advocacy during and after college, hospital volunteering for 3 years

State: OR
Already pre-written secondaries for some

Current LIst:
OHSU
Georgetown
GWU
Brown
BU
Tufts
Howard
Merharry
NYMC
Creighton
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
USC- keck
Virginia Carillion
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac

I think I can afford to add more schools (~10-15) for this cycle to increase my odds - I’m just worried about completing secondaries on time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do not need to retake the MCAT. I suggest adding these schools to your application:
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Loyola
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis

Hi, I think my app is about to be verified soon so I would like some help with my school list and what my chances look like. After looking more closely at my stats, I am in a worse place than I anticipated so any advice is appreciated!

cGPA- 3.33
sGPA- 3.2
Post-bac gpa: 30 credits, 3.9 (8 non-science) but quarter system instead of semesters like my undergrad, weighted less. This realization is what messed up my view of my gpa - I thought it was higher ~3.4 than it actually is and its throwing me off :cryi:
Based off number of credits in my GPA, I would need 8 quarter term classes at with all As to get my cGPA to 3.4 ( considering for next cycle if this cycle doesn’t look good by winter term but could also start with Fall if that’s better?)

MCAT- 511 - 126/129/128/128 - could retake in Sept b/c my cars and p/s are usually around 131 and my chem could be better but I don’t think that would be helpful for this cycle

Research- 2 years on research undergrad, 3 years of research full time - 3 pub., 1 poster at regional conference
Clinical- ~400 hours of enrolling patients into clinical trials in ED, opportunity to shadow in between
Other/Leadership- ~1000 hours for non-profit targeting my immigrant community (helped found ), TA for upper level neuro, significant leadership roles on campus and non science related jobs, political advocacy during and after college, hospital volunteering for 3 years

Current LIst:
OHSU
Georgetown
GWU
Brown
BU
Tufts
Howard
Merharry
NYMC
Creighton
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
USC- keck
Virginia Carillion
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac

I think I can afford to add more schools (~10-15) for this cycle to increase my odds - I’m just worried about completing secondaries on time.
You definitely don't need to retake, unless you're aiming for tons of stats-obsessed schools, in which case that might help. What geographical region would you ideally like to live in? MCAT and GPA aren't the best way to determine where to apply imo, best to think about what you want in a school and where you want to live, and then partially use MCAT and GPA to help guide you a little.

Reactions: 1 user

cGPA- 3.33
sGPA- 3.2

Current LIst:
OHSU
Georgetown
GWU
Brown
BU
Tufts
Howard
Merharry
NYMC
Creighton
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
USC- keck
Virginia Carillion
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac

Please don't retake that MCAT.