WAMC/Low MCAT, great ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kerplop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting this for a friend since this forum helped me out a while ago. I think he’s a great applicant for any place with his service record, but he’s very concerned about his chances with his MCAT score + retake. School list would be much appreciated.
  • cGPA: 3.96 sGPA: 3.90
  • MCAT: 508 -> 512
  • Wisconsin resident
  • ORM
  • Top 20 undergrad
  • Clinical experience: 240 hours, much of it as a Spanish interpreter
  • Research: 400 hours, 1 first author low impact journal, 2 poster presentations
  • Shadowing: 60 hours, mostly primary care and pediatrics
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 5000+ hours
-Founded a service organization focused on overcoming education gaps that has become international in scope, recipient of many grants, manages tens of thousands of dollars for this organization. Volunteers often in soup kitchens, homeless shelters, etc. as well
  • Played a D3 sport in undergrad, had a gap year working on community improvement projects in South America, coordinated and planned global health trips for his school
  • Recipient of multiple service awards at his undergrad, one prominent state-based service award
  • Has thousands of hours of work experience in a governmental public health agency as well

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools for your friend:
U Wisconsin
Medical College Wisconsin
Iowa
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Vermont

Reactions: 1 user
Good suggestions from Faha. The 508->512 is a good improvement and he should treat his MCAT like 510. The extracurriculars really are exceptional. I'd throw in some reaches too because of it: Rush (value service), Case, Cincinnati, Jefferson, BU, Wake Forest, Georgetown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks you two! I had forgotten MCAT score was something you couldn't really get around. I'm at a top 10 school now and was thinking my friend has more leadership and service experience than all of my classmates so I was encouraging them to apply here, but I guess I'm being unrealistic.

Thanks you two! I had forgotten MCAT score was something you couldn't really get around. I'm at a top 10 school now and was thinking my friend has more leadership and service experience than all of my classmates so I was encouraging them to apply here, but I guess I'm being unrealistic.

I mean, can't hurt, they should shoot their shot if they want.