WAMC. Low Step 1 score. Better Step 2 score. Lots of Psych extracurriculars.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I give up on psychiatry and pursue family medicine?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

nevadabear123

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
is this a joke. your application is fine for psych. there are now supposedly 6 programs in the bay area. you should be a very competitive as long as you aren't this annoyingly neurotic in person. you could consider doing away rotations at the programs of interest to seal the deal (assuming again not annoyingly neurotic and perform well)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kaweah Delta and UCSF Fresno are both in Northern California. They are relatively less competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
is this a joke. your application is fine for psych. there are now supposedly 6 programs in the bay area. you should be a very competitive as long as you aren't this annoyingly neurotic in person. you could consider doing away rotations at the programs of interest to seal the deal (assuming again not annoyingly neurotic and perform well)

Hi I'm just scared that my step 1 score is vastly low... it's a 213... aren't there like 230 cut offs for most Californian programs?

Hi I'm just scared that my step 1 score is vastly low... it's a 213... aren't there like 230 cut offs for most Californian programs?
you need a slap. no psych program in the country has a cut off of 230. that is not a thing. please don't spread this nonsense. the very best programs don't need to consider board scores much at all. depending to some extent on your medical school, you would be considered very competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
you need a slap. no psych program in the country has a cut off of 230. that is not a thing. please don't spread this nonsense. the very best programs don't need to consider board scores much at all. depending to some extent on your medical school, you would be considered very competitive.

Thanks forgetting me know! What do you mean by "the very best programs don't need to consider board scores much at all" ? Do you mean they have no cut off scores but look at the applicant as a whole?

I'm sorry for asking... just some of the residents I've talked to at my school said that there were cut offs when they applied so that got me a bit anxious because my step 1 score is not as high as some of the other applicants.

Definitely apply outside of California to safety schools. California is the most competitive state for virtually every specialty.

What states do you recommend? I'd like to ideally work with underserved communities long-term, especially the LGBTQ+ community.

Thanks forgetting me know! What do you mean by "the very best programs don't need to consider board scores much at all" ? Do you mean they have no cut off scores but look at the applicant as a whole?

I'm sorry for asking... just some of the residents I've talked to at my school said that there were cut offs when they applied so that got me a bit anxious because my step 1 score is not as high as some of the other applicants.
some of the less competitive programs have cut offs between 200-220. If you don't hear from particular programs of interest and are concerned you may have been screened out you can always contact them and express your interest (as long as you have specific reasons why you are interested in the program).

I'm aware of some programs screening people out for step *failures," but not low scores.

I can't speak to whether there are cutoffs, but it's pretty much an axiom that programs look at applicants as a whole.