WAMC Low uGPA/MCAT High SMP GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WholesaleBento

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering what my chances are at low tier MDs and DO schools. I graduated undergrad back in 2017 with a bachelors in Biology. Thought I wanted to go into EMS but found out that I did not like fires in person as much as I did on paper. Finished an SMP in 2021 and just yolo'd some apps and obviously got rejected.

1. AMCAS sGPA/cGPA: 2.46/2.78
SMP GPA: 3.84

2. 1st MCAT (2019): 498 (124/122/126/126)
2nd MCAT (2021): 503 (127/121/128/127)
I plan on retaking the MCAT in July 2022

3. State residence: VA

4. ORM

5. Undergrad: Midwest school, low tier

6. Clinical experience (volunteering/non volunteering): 4000+

7. Research experience: 1000+ with one pub in the works

8. Shadowing exp: ~40 hours in GI by MD

9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~400 hours

10. ECs: college athletics, leadership/mentor program, various clubs

11. Honors: Dean's list in my senior year, I show upwards trend throughout all four years of college

12. Anything else: I have a C- in Gen Chem II for undergrad and was planning on retaking the course at a CC this summer. But I am conflicted as it runs near my MCAT date. I've been calling a few schools here and there (MD and DO) and some say they don't really mind the C- and that taking biochem/ochem/advanced biochem in my masters are fine replacing it. What's the consensus on retaking this class?

School list: First time I applied and going off of what my advisors told me, I just went all MD ranging from mid to low tier since I was banking on my second MCAT retake. Now I am looking at low tier MD schools and broadly DO schools.

Thanks for your time! Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably retake the gen chem class because there will be schools that want you to pass all pre-reqs. You did well on the SMP, but currently are a candidate for only DOs. Since your cumulative GPA is still below a 3.0, you will likely get screened out at a majority of schools. Including VCOM unfortunately. You could try the following and reach out to understand their policies and try to request them to consider your SMP GPA when reviewing your app.

UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)

Perhaps new schools such as the brand new Kansas one and Orlando but understand there could be problems as the schools figure out how to run things. They will be unproven environments

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably retake the gen chem class because there will be schools that want you to pass all pre-reqs. You did well on the SMP, but currently are a candidate for only DOs. Since your cumulative GPA is still below a 3.0, you will likely get screened out at a majority of schools. Including VCOM unfortunately. You could try the following and reach out to understand their policies and try to request them to consider your SMP GPA when reviewing your app.

UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)

Perhaps new schools such as the brand new Kansas one and Orlando but understand there could be problems as the schools figure out how to run things. They will be unproven environments
Thank you for the recommendations! I'll definitely call these schools up and see what their policies are. The only thing with taking the class is that the CC im looking at is requiring that I take the lab in addition to the lecture, which would be from 5:30pm-9:15pm for both classes right after I get off of work. I'll try to tough it out though.

So you got no interviews at all? Where did you apply (from the advice you got from advisors?
Unfortunately not. Here was my list:

Albert Einstein
BU
FAU
MSU
Penn State
Creighton
Drexel
FHN Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Howard
Temple
Stritch
MCW
NYMC
Rush
Tufts
AZ Phoenix
UMD
UIC
VCU
Wake Forest

I wanted to stay on urban campuses and will totally receive any criticism in doing so. My thought process was that if I was going to spend four years somewhere, it would be some place where I would be happy. But since I didn't receive any II's this cycle, I was going to expand my list to rural as well and suck it up.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately of your list, nearly all of them were donations given your MCAT scores, even if your GPA had met the cutoff. You do not meet Howard’s mission either.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
You could receive interviews at some of the newer DO schools or lower tier schools. I suggest these
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
BCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
Kansas (new school)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Unfortunately of your list, nearly all of them were donations given your MCAT scores, even if your GPA had met the cutoff. You do not meet Howard’s mission either.
Yeah, that's unfortunate to hear. Serves me right for rolling the dice. I was hoping for a shot at Howard since my clinical experiences were all in underserved areas and that I want to continue working with that population in urban areas. I know my non-clinical volunteer hours are lacking, but I can only do four hours bi-weekly due to my hectic work schedule.

You could receive interviews at some of the newer DO schools or lower tier schools. I suggest these
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
BCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
Kansas (new school)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Thank you so much for the school suggestions! I will add these to my list!

Yeah, that's unfortunate to hear. Serves me right for rolling the dice. I was hoping for a shot at Howard since my clinical experiences were all in underserved areas and that I want to continue working with that population in urban areas. I know my non-clinical volunteer hours are lacking, but I can only do four hours bi-weekly due to my hectic work schedule.
Did you meet with anyone at Howard University College of Medicine about their mission? What personal experiences do you share with the patient population, and what have you experienced regarding restricted access to societal resources due to structural racial policies? I'm asking because I don't see that in your brief WAMC description. We want to see that you have walked the walk to talk the talk.

Reactions: 1 user