MD WAMC: MCAT 508, cGPA: 3.76, sGPA: 3.70

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedeviant105

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year: Non-trad, graduated 2017 at the University of Georgia
State: Georgia

Schools:
Mercer University
Medical School of Georgia
Emory
Florida State University
University of South Carolina
Tulane University
Howard University
Drexel University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Loma Linda University
Wake Forest
Duke

cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.70
MCAT: 508 (129/127/126/126), Potentially retake on July?

Research: I researched in a organic chemistry lab for two semesters for 260 hours and researched in the same lab over the summer for 452 hours. For the fall and spring, I was charged with the production of cyclooctynes to be used as a bio-signaling compounds with the use of light-based chemistry. For my time in summer, I was partnered with a graduate student to produce fluorescent nano-particles that could used in tandem with cyclooctynes.

Volunteering: Volunteered at a Wellstar from May to July 2014/2015 for a total of 80 hours. During the summer of 2014, I was part of support services where I was tasked to bring patients from the lobby to their desired destination or bringing patients down to the main lobby area for them to be picked up. During the summer of 2015, in addition to support services, I was also in the oncology nursing station, where I was tasked to help patients, restock medical supplies and food, and assist the nurses. On May 2015, for two weeks, I was on a volunteer trip to Panama to setup a mobile clinic. I was tasked in different stations: vitals, intake, pharmacy, and shadowing for a total 77 working hours.

Shadowing: I shadowed an internist over the summer of 2016 every Sunday from 8 am to 12 pm for a total of 36 hours. In addition, I shadowed a physician for mobile clinic in Panama for Volunteers Around the World for another 22 hours.

Non-clinical Volunteering: I was part of my Med-Life chapter at UGA where was part of volunteering efforts such as blood drives, food banks, and nature clean-ups.

Extracurriculars: Was a teaching assistant intern for a General Chemistry 2 Lab during Spring 2015. I was tasked for grading, answering questions from students, giving the pre-lab lecture, and proctoring exams. 54 hours of total work.

Employment: None
Family in Medicine: None
Specialty of Interest: Internal Medicine
Interest in Rural Health: Yes

Members don't see this ad.

I can only really speak to you about Emory and Georgetown (as they are schools that I applied to) and say that you might not even a shot at those schools.

My stats when I applied were:

cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 511, retook and got a 516

Research: Did research for 2.5 years. Won't really get into the details, but it was in biochemistry. Didn't publish.
Volunteering: about 350 hours clinical, and about 120 hours non-clinical
Shadowing: shadowed a neurologist and a orthopedic surgeon for like 20 hours
EC: TA, Tutor, a type of supplemental instruction leader (it was called something specific at my school), ranked on the state level for a club event.
Employment: worked at j. crew

I ended up getting into UT Southwestern, but I didn't even get an interview from Georgetown or Emory. Now, I was also a traditional student and an Asian male (It kind of matters, but it might not also. Who can really say.)

I don't really know what goes into the admissions decisions, and you being a non-traditional student might help with at least getting an interview. But in my honest opinion, I think your stats are too low for those schools, and even Duke. I don't think you'd get past the pre-screen.

I hope I don't discourage you. And I know I didn't get your full application, but from what you've give us, this is the best assessment I can make.

Unless you are URM you can delete Howard. Florida State matriculated 2 non residents 2 years ago and South Carolina only 20 so you can delete those. Duke is a far reach with your MCAT. You could add these schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Another question that I have is whether or not I should retake my MCAT to get a higher score around 510? I can only take one on July 22nd. Would that be wise?

Another question that I have is whether or not I should retake my MCAT to get a higher score around 510? I can only take one on July 22nd. Would that be wise?
I was determined to score in the top 10 percent on the MCAT, and so I retook it. At the very least, I helped me get into a better school. I can't say if you should or shouldn't, but when I got my first score back, I knew it wasn't representative of what I believed I could score, and so I retook it. If you feel the same way, I would suggest retaking. If you score higher, it can only help you. Just don't score lower.

Reactions: 1 user
Increasing your score to 510 will have minimal influence on your chances.
Would you say that sending my application now would be a better alternative rather than waiting and potentially sending an application late?