WAMC - MD and DO + school list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rani_muan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I would like to get some advice on what my chances are with MD (hopefully) and DO schools for this upcoming 2021-2022 cycle as well as help with my current school list (please let me know if I posted this wrong or need to fix anything with my post).

cGPA: 3.57 (AMCAS and AACOMAS)

sGPA: 3.33 (AMCAS) and 3.40 (AACOMAS)

MCAT Score: 511 (128, 127, 129, 127)

State of Residence: VA

Ethnicity: South Asian, Female

Undergraduate Institution: Undergraduate was done in PA (class of 2020 – Molecular Biology Major)

Clinical Experience: 481 hours. This is broken down as 376 hours as a volunteer medical assistant for a private physician, 64 hours as a Patient Transport volunteer and Patient Art Activities volunteer at a MedStar hospital system, and 41 hours as a volunteer with VA Health Systems where I volunteered with Patient Advocacy. Currently working on trying to apply for more clinical hours to continue my hours.

Non-Clinical Experience: 170 hours. This is broken down as 152 hours volunteering with a dementia adult day center and 18 hours (as of now) as a mentor for underserved and low-income families. I am currently still volunteering with the same organization where I will begin SAT Tutoring. I have also started volunteering with another organization that provides hands-on interactive and educational art programs for children and adults living in community centers, group homes, permanent housing facilities, hospitals and more.

Shadowing: 210 hours. This is broken down to 46 hours within the NICU at a MedStar hospital system and 164 hours shadowing an Internal Medicine/Nephrology physician (I previously shadowed a Neurophysiologist in high school for 38 hours). I am continuing to shadow, all-be-it virtual through the HEAL Clinical Shadowing program.

Research Experience: I have been doing research since sophomore year of high school but unfortunately, that does not get included in the med school applications ☹. I have done research my spring semester of freshman year and fall semester of sophomore year within the medical school Department of Psychiatry at my undergraduate institution. I received a fellowship for my research my spring semester. Unfortunately, none of my research experiences resulted in a publication but I have presented at various school poster and research sessions. My freshman year, I was also part of the specialized research lab (SEA-PHAGES program).

Work Experience: I was an academic tutor with Varsity Tutors from 2017 – 2019 at which point I moved to my own private tutoring service that I continued from 2019-2020. I was an academic summer instructor for a well-known academic camp for summer of 2018 and an Antibody Engineering Research Intern with a Biotech company summer of 2019. After graduation, I began full-time employment as a Microbiologist within the phage therapy industry since June 2020.

Other extracurriculars: I was on a cultural non-competitive dance team my freshman year of undergraduate. My sophomore year, I was a TA for the SEA-PHAGES lab course and was on the Finance Board for the university TEDx Club. Throughout my four years of college, I was the cofounder and vice-president of a club sports team.

Relevant honors or awards: Research Fellowship for Fall 2017. Dean’s List entire college career other than Spring 2017 and Fall 2017 – graduated magna cum laude.

Anything else not listed you think might be important: Regarding my GPA, I had a pretty big dip my sophomore year that I attribute to organic chemistry but did bring it back up my junior and senior year. My GPA throughout the fours years was – 3.42, 3.31, 3.69, 3.90 (while my senior year gpa is high, I didn’t take a lot of science heavy courses while in my junior year, I took my higher-level sciences courses required for my major).

I’d appreciate any help on the current school list that I have tried to put together from reading other WAMC threads with similar stats (@Goro and @Faha, please would love your input as well) as well as any advice on my application itself. Thank you so much for all your help!

School List:
MD:
EVMS
Temple
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
Loyola
NYMC
Tulane
Albany
Penn State
Michigan State Univ.
Wright State
Univ. of Washington
VCU
NOVA MD
Drexel
TCU-UNT
Tufts
Hofstra
Creighton
Wake Forest
GWU
Rush
Western Michigan
Wayne State
MCW
Pitt

DO:
PCOM
A.T. Still Univ. (School of Osteopathic Med in AZ)
Kansas City Univ. COM
Univ. of New England COM
UNT-Health Science Center COM (Similar to TMDAS, do Texas DO schools have a separate application?)
Edward VCOM (prefer Blacksburg campus)
Lake Erie COM
West Virginia COM

Members don't see this ad.

Most of your list will be a struggle due to the lower sGPA. I suggest the following, but double check with MSAR and eliminate schools where your gpas are less than their 10th percentile.

School List:
MD:
EVMS
Temple
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
Loyola
NYMC
Tulane
Seton Hall
Albany
VCU
NOVA MD
Drexel
TCU-UNT
Tufts
Creighton
Wake Forest
GWU
Rush
Western Michigan. Va Tech if you're from rural VA
Wayne State
MCW

DO:
PCOM
A.T. Still Univ. (School of Osteopathic Med in AZ)
Kansas City Univ. COM
Univ. of New England COM
UNT-Health Science Center COM (Similar to TMDAS, do Texas DO schools have a separate application?)
Edward VCOM (prefer Blacksburg campus)
Lake Erie COM
West Virginia COM
Yes, TCOM uses the TX app system.

ADD CUSOM, KYCOM, NYITCOM, TOURO.NY, MUCOM, ACOM, WCU

Thank you very much for your response @Goro! Looking at my stats, do you think I have a good shot at DO schools or is that also going to be a struggle because of my lower sGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha and @Mr.Smile12 what are your thoughts as well on my application for this upcoming 2021-2022 cycle? Thank you for your advice!

You are competitive for all DO schools. Remove U Washington since they accept less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest.
Pitt is a reach.

You are competitive for all DO schools. Remove U Washington since they accept less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest.
Pitt is a reach.
Thank you @Faha for the school list advice!

For anyone with the same stats and who may be stalking the WAMC forum, I wanted to provide an update on my acceptances and waitlists. I ended up getting acceptances to 6 DO schools (VCOM-VA, NYIT-COM, KCU-Joplin, DMU-COM, WVU COM, and CCOM) and 1 MD school (MCW). I got waitlisted at 1 DO school (LECOM) and 3 MD schools (GWU, EVMS, Creighton). Any questions about my application, feel free to DM! Good luck to everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
For anyone with the same stats and who may be stalking the WAMC forum, I wanted to provide an update on my acceptances and waitlists. I ended up getting acceptances to 6 DO schools (VCOM-VA, NYIT-COM, KCU-Joplin, DMU-COM, WVU COM, and CCOM) and 1 MD school (MCW). I got waitlisted at 1 DO school (LECOM) and 3 MD schools (GWU, EVMS, Creighton). Any questions about my application, feel free to DM! Good luck to everyone :)
Messaged!