WAMC(MD+DO) and where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN2physician

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

In the past year I have decided to endeavor on the journey to transition from nursing to medicine. I will be applying next year for the 2023 admission cycle. Here are some stats:

1. cGPA: 3.41 sGPA: 3.63 with an upward trend Post bacc : 4.0 33 credit hours
  2. MCAT score(s): 501 =/
  3. State of residence: North Carolina
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Hispanic male 26 years, unable to speak spanish well
  5. Undergraduate institution: Alabama public university, BSN
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1. I have been a registered nurse for the past four years, working in neurological ICU, surgical-trauma ICU, step-down ICU, telemetry, renal+pulmonary med surg, post op orthopedic floor. Around 10000+ hours of bedside experience. 2. I live with type one diabetes and have volunteered as a camp nurse for children with diabetes, where I educate them on how to live with their chronic disease and proper techniques to test blood glucose and administer insulin(not sure if this counts as clinical experience).
  7. Research experience and productivity: Assisted at a sleep center with physician conducting sleep apnea research during my first year as RN. Research poster presented in nursing school on the effects of skin to skin contact after birth between mother and baby. Community assessment research and presentation on cirrhosis in rural towns.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 60 hours of shadowing internal medicine DO that I work with, who is also providing letter of recommendation. 40 hours shadowing primary care DO. 20 hours with general surgeon. It was during my nursing school clinicals, but I spent the whole week following this doctor and he talked me through multiple cases explaining what he was doing, so not sure if that counts.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: I have coached youth lacrosse players for the last six years, and youth football for the last three years as well. Participate at homeless shelters during the holidays to assist feeding people. I have also been a volunteer firefighter for my town the last year.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): former college athlete. Vice president of student nurses association during undergrad.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: no real academic achievement to mention.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: 6 LOR total- 1 DO, 1 MD I work with, 2 science professors, 1 from Chief of nursing from last hospital I worked at. Multiple nursing certifications such as CCRN, ACLS, PALS, NIH stroke certification. Strong personal essay of why I am making the transition from nursing to medicine.
I have been looking into multiple medical schools, and plan to apply to between 25-35(DO included). I know I am going to apply at all my in-state schools, but am curious to see where other people think I may have a chance to get accepted. Ultimately, I will go to any school that will give me a shot. I am aware that my GPA and MCAT is unappealing, received a couple Cs in nursing school classes that were 8 credit hours a piece. I have also have taken most of my post bach classes such as gen chem, biochem, and physics all at the local community college. Organic chemistry was taken at a university.

This is a post I updated from last year.

I welcome all constructive criticism and feedback. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without a MCAT score it is not possible to give you an accurate list of schools to apply to. How late in the year will you be taking the MCAT ? October is fine for DO schools but late July would be the latest for a MD application. Post your actual score here when available.

Without a MCAT score it is not possible to give you an accurate list of schools to apply to. How late in the year will you be taking the MCAT ? October is fine for DO schools but late July would be the latest for a MD application. Post your actual score here when available.
I was planning on taking it the first time this September 2020, and retaking in January 2021 if necessary. I assumed with MCAT scores being available months before the application opens in may 2021, then that would be an ample amount of time to have it done. Is it recommended to have it completed long before that?

Members don't see this ad :)
That should be fine. Are you fluent in Spanish? What a Hispanic group do you represent? When you get your score back come here and post it. People will be glad to help you with a list. In the mean time use the MSAR to research MD schools. And only plan to take the MCAT once. Don’t take it until you are scoring at or above your target goal on FL practice tests. Good luck.

I was planning on taking it the first time this September 2020, and retaking in January 2021 if necessary. I assumed with MCAT scores being available months before the application opens in may 2021, then that would be an ample amount of time to have it done. Is it recommended to have it completed long before that?
Yes, that timeline is fine for the 2022 class.

Reactions: 1 user
That should be fine. Are you fluent in Spanish? What a Hispanic group do you represent? When you get your score back come here and post it. People will be glad to help you with a list. In the mean time use the MSAR to research MD schools. And only plan to take the MCAT once. Don’t take it until you are scoring at or above your target goal on FL practice tests. Good luck.
I am Puerto Rican, but I am not fluent in Spanish, unfortunately. I will be posting my MCAT score here as soon as I get it. Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: 1 users
I would cover my bases and make sure to look at DO schools as well. No bets without an MCAT score, but given your clinical experience already, you should have some interest at some point. Look up schools that have LMSA chapters and reach out to the students.

I would cover my bases and make sure to look at DO schools as well. No bets without an MCAT score, but given your clinical experience already, you should have some interest at some point. Look up schools that have LMSA chapters and reach out to the students.
I have a handful of DO schools that I will be applying to. A few of the schools within my state have a LMSA chapter, I will be sure to reach out to them. When it comes to taking my last two organic chemistry prerequisites, would it hold any more weight completing them at a university? Or does it not mater much at this point since most of my science courses have been completed at a community college?

Reactions: 1 user