WAMC? Mississippi Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

couchsurfer1212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My basic information (white male, Mississippi resident):
1. 3.51 cGPA and a 3.31 sGPA - Biomedical Engineering Major @ Michigan w/ Chemistry and Mechanical Eng. Minors
2. 508 MCAT
3. 150 hours of clinical volunteering at a VA Hospital
3. 3 years of clinical research, involving 10+ different clinical trials, significant patient interaction, lab bench work, and data analysis. 2 publications (maybe 3).
4. ~40 hrs shadowing: Family, Radiology, Cardiology, Ortho
5. Leader of a student design team that's modifying an Ortho's surgical tools to minimize accidents in OR. (Decent amount of miscellaneous EC's too, including tutoring and TA for several classes)
6. Have a positive trend in GPA and a compelling story (my gf was diagnosed, and has since overcome, cancer during 1st semester of sophomore yr)

I'll obviously apply to Mississippi Med School (UMC SOM), but wanted your guys' take on my chances there as well as other schools I should target. I know my GPA is a little low, but I'm thinking about UAB, Tulane, Arkansas, FSU, then UWashington, Emory, Georgetown as more of my dream schools.

Members don't see this ad.

You are well within acceptable stats for your state school. They matriculated a whopping 34% of their IS applicants last year.
Only 35 people from your state matriculated OOS last year. Beacause of this, an OOS school would need a pretty strong reason to believe that you would pass up IS tuition to interview you.
OOS matriculants to the U of W are residents of states that have contracts with the university. Yours is not one of them.

If I'm not mistaken UAMS takes almost all IS applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)