MD & DO WAMC || Need help generating a school list. || (3.6 cGPA/508)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr1898

Reaction score
Hello, I would appreciate some help thinking of a school list for the upcoming cycle.

1. cGPA = 3.61, AMCAS sGPA = 3.42, AACOMAS sGPA = 3.39
  1. I have an upward trend. I went from a 3.4 GPA to a 3.6. My grades significantly improved in my last two years of college. I took 5 years to graduate and used the last year to take classes for my minors and to show that I was capable of succeeding in upper-level courses, since I struggled in my sophomore and junior years.
2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  • 508 (123/128/128/129)
  • I know the 123 in CP isn't great... I asked my advisor if he thought I should retake the test, but he said no and told me to apply. Now I'm worried that I should've just retaken it.
3. I am a CA resident.
4. I am an ORM.
5. I went to a California State University.
6. Clinical experience / Non-clinical experience
  • clinical volunteering: 125 hours volunteering a hospital assisting patients, and in the ER
    • I would have more hours but my shifts were abruptly cut off due to COVID. I had been volunteering at this hospital for about a year.
  • non-clinical volunteering: I volunteer with crisis text line. I just started this, so I only have about 20ish hours under my belt.
  • non-clinical volunteering: misc activities with my school club, like food drives, clothing drives, river clean-ups, etc. Maybe about ~50 hours worth of this?
7. Research experience and productivity
  • two semesters total. each semester had a different project to focus on. no pubs. I estimate I spent ~70ish hours for both of these projects, combined. one project was an independent research project.
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  • 10 hours shadowing a family medicine/allergist doctor. I was supposed to continue shadowing them but... COVID. I'm hoping soon they will let me back into their practice to continue shadowing. (I literally started shadowing this doctor about 2 weeks before the pandemic "hit" and my area was closed down)
  • I have an ER doctor lined up to shadow, but they want me to wait to shadow them until the pandemic is over. (who knows when that will be)
  • I have been unsuccessful in finding a DO to shadow, even before the pandemic. None of the practitioners in my area that I reached out to were open to allowing students in.
9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  • Employed part time, working about ~24 hours/week
    • leadership roles at all jobs I work at
  • President of a club for one year
    • fundraising coordinator of this club the year prior (total 2 years in the club)
  • Secretary of another club for one year
  • Laboratory Teaching Assistant for one year
10. Relevant honors or awards
  • Dean's list
  • in my school's Honor's program
What I plan to do over the summer while I wait for my apps to be processed:
  1. I plan on getting a job as an MA.
  2. Hopefully I will get back into shadowing, but this is iffy on if the doctors will let me back in.
  3. I will also hopefully be able to restart my clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
For MD schools I suggest these:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Kaiser
UC Davis UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)

Reactions: 1 user
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis UC Irvine
Thank you so much for your help!! I truly appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis UC Irvine
@Faha, hope this message finds you well. I am hoping to use your list above for a 3.4 Cumulative GPA, 3.28 Science GPA and a 508 MCAT. ( my score last year was a 493).

URM and New York State resident.

I am going to be a reapplicant to following schools : Albany, Drexel, Temple, New York Medical College, George Washington, Seton Hall, Quinnipiac, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, SUNY's, Tufts.

I am not sure about the DO schools, as I haven't shadowed any DO and will not be able to provide the required letter.

Please let me know if its's okay to use your list plus the schools I am reapplying to. Thank you!

@Faha, hope this message finds you well. I am hoping to use your list above for a 3.4 Cumulative GPA, 3.28 Science GPA and a 508 MCAT. ( my score last year was a 493).

URM and New York State resident.

I am going to be a reapplicant to following schools : Albany, Drexel, Temple, New York Medical College, George Washington, Seton Hall, Quinnipiac, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, SUNY's, Tufts.

I am not sure about the DO schools, as I haven't shadowed any DO and will not be able to provide the required letter.

Please let me know if its's okay to use your list plus the schools I am reapplying to. Thank you!
Which URM community are you from ? When you applied previously did you apply with your 493 MCAT or your 508 MCAT ?

Which URM community are you from ? When you applied previously did you apply with your 493 MCAT or your 508 MCAT ?
Thanks for the response @Faha . I am from West Africa (US Permanent Resident). Unfortunately, I applied with a 493. I applied before receiving my score back in September.

Thanks for the response @Faha . I am from West Africa (US Permanent Resident). Unfortunately, I applied with a 493. I applied before receiving my score back in September.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple