WAMC Need help making a school list. 3.72/510 ORM (South Asian)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kannan1423

Reaction score
Need help making a school list. I'm south Asian, cali resident and totally cool with going out of state.

• Year in school: 3rd
  • Country/state of residence: CA, USA
  • Schools to which you are applying: MD
TCU-UNTHSC
UC Davis
UCR
California University of Science
Medical College of Wisconsin
Nova Southeastern University
Tulane University SOM
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
Meharry medical college
Albany medical college
Eastern Virginia Medical School
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Florida state university COM
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine

• Cumulative GPA: 3.72
  • MCAT Scores: 510 (128/125/129/128)
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: 200 Hours at Kaiser's emergency department
Physical therapy aide, 88 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
50 hours at the community center assisting the elderly with technology related needs. Help getting online, troubleshooting assistance, etc.
  • Extracurricular activities: Fitness, skiing, mountain biking
  • Employment history:
4 months at a microbiology laboratory, internship pathogen testing skincare products. 40hrs/wk.
Tutored students at my university for two quarters with general chemistry. Had to be present at every lecture, discussion section and one office hours a week. Commitment of 5 hours of tutoring a week.

• Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): N
  • Specialty of interest: Orthopedics
  • Shadowing experience: N (Pandemic)
  • Interest in rural health (y/n): Y

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any physician shadowing hours ? You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with no connection to the state and Meharry mainly admits applicants from the African American community. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
California University
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Also apply to several DO schools and consider these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
Touro-NY
CUSOM

Do you have any physician shadowing hours ? You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with no connection to the state and Meharry mainly admits applicants from the African American community. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
California University
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Also apply to several DO schools and consider these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
Touro-NY
CUSOM
Sounds good, thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to find shadowing hours but couldn't find any during the pandemic. Do you think online shadowing would count?
Btw, so should I scrap my school list and replace it with the one you mentioned?

Thanks a ton btw!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, use my list. Online shadowing will not help your application. If you can accumulate 50 hours (or any hours) of physician shadowing before you submit your application it will be helpful.

Yes, use my list. Online shadowing will not help your application. If you can accumulate 50 hours (or any hours) of physician shadowing before you submit your application it will be helpful.
Sounds good. thank you!

Hi, it has been awhile but i so far am doing online shadowing and have 6. But every week I am getting 2 hours more and I have 30 hours of emergency medicine shadowing from the ED clinic I previously volunteered at. So still just use your list? Thanks! I'm done with my PS and activities section and was shooting to send tmrw.

Hi, it has been awhile but i so far am doing online shadowing and have 6. But every week I am getting 2 hours more and I have 30 hours of emergency medicine shadowing from the ED clinic I previously volunteered at. So still just use your list? Thanks! I'm done with my PS and activities section and was shooting to send tmrw.
Yes, use the same list.

The list has little to nothing to do with shadowing or the lack of in person shadowing. It has everything to do with the schools you selected and how they historically select their students. Is there some reason you want to specifically apply to those schools? You keep asking so there must be. Here’s the thing, apply where you want. If you want the best chance of being accepted use @Faha ‘s list.
Stop the virtual shadowing. It’s not helpful to your application. Do you have 30 hours of in person ED shadowing like you seem to have stated? If you do that’s fine. Apply with your 30 hours and keep doing it until you hit 50 hours of in person shadowing. Find a primary care doc and do some in person shadowing too.

Reactions: 1 user
The list has little to nothing to do with shadowing or the lack of in person shadowing. It has everything to do with the schools you selected and how they historically select their students. Is there some reason you want to specifically apply to those schools? You keep asking so there must be. Here’s the thing, apply where you want. If you want the best chance of being accepted use @Faha ‘s list.
Stop the virtual shadowing. It’s not helpful to your application. Do you have 30 hours of in person ED shadowing like you seem to have stated? If you do that’s fine. Apply with your 30 hours and keep doing it until you hit 50 hours of in person shadowing. Find a primary care doc and do some in person shadowing too.
Oh no i just meant if I could apply to even more schools or if the shadowing made me eligible for it. And yeah I do, I asked the coordinator if she could let me shadow straight for the few weeks and I did. I got emergency medicine shadowing

But ya i'm applying with Faha's list rn

Oh no i just meant if I could apply to even more schools or if the shadowing made me eligible for it. And yeah I do, I asked the coordinator if she could let me shadow straight for the few weeks and I did. I got emergency medicine shadowing

But ya i'm applying with Faha's list rn
You aren’t really understanding the process. You can certainly apply to as many schools as you want to. But applying to the schools on your list would be a waste of time for the reasons @Faha stated several weeks ago. Not because you don’t have physician shadowing but because of where you live. If you want to apply to more schools pick better schools, schools that you are more competitive for. Low-Mid tier private schools might be worth a look as are DO schools. But remember, applying to more isn’t better. For every school you apply to you have a secondary to complete. As secondaries arrive they start to pile up and you might try to rush through them just to get them done.. so be careful. Apply to the schools you plan to, finish the secondaries and if you feel the need to apply to a couple more add them. But @Faha has given you an excellent list. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user