WAMC+Need Help Making School List: 520 MCAT, 3.90 cgpa & 3.86 sgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho-Social878

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS- 3.90 cgpa, 3.86 sgpa
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown- 520, 130/131/130/129
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)- AR
  4. Ethnicity and/or race- Indian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category T200 state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) 1200 hours paid medical assistant including adminstering injections, blood draws, billing work, etc, 100 hours volunteer EMT, and 100 hours volunteering at hospital just taking vitals & meeting basic patient needs
  7. Research experience and productivity ~1000 hours of research in a neuroscience lab: 2 poster presentations, 3 2nd author pubs, and working on an honors thesis, but likely will not be published before cycle is complete
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented 40 hours with a vascular surgeon, 10 hours with neurosurgeon, ~20 hours with nephrologist, 10 hours with an OB/GYN, and ~20 hours with family medicine doc
  9. Non-clinical volunteering ~ 600 hours at a food pantry that I co-founded at my mosque (founder actually did one of these a few months ago if it seems familiar). Also spent 30 hours working with children with special needs at my old high school and still continuing this
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) I've been in a role as a TA for general bio lab for 1 year and half, but my most important activity in this section would be attributed to my role as treasurer in the Muslim Student Association, and I likely will be a VP in around a month. In this leadership role, I kept track of logistics and financial accounts for the organization and also have done weekly events at the mosque for the youth to learn more about the religion. I have been in this role since freshman year of undergrad and have spent well over 1000 hours in it.
  11. Relevant honors or awards Deans list
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important Need help formulating a good school list. My only real criteria is the presence of an AMMSA organization affiliation as I intend to continue my ties with the organization and it means quite a bit to me. It is also worth noting I am a traditional applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad you at least know about AMMSA (Contact 1 — American Muslim Medical Student Association). Have you successfully connected with student officers?

On the research networking side, you could see if SfN may be helpful to get an alternate perspective of specific schools, especially if you are considering continuing on in neuroscience research as a medical student.

I'm glad you at least know about AMMSA (Contact 1 — American Muslim Medical Student Association). Have you successfully connected with student officers?

On the research networking side, you could see if SfN may be helpful to get an alternate perspective of specific schools, especially if you are considering continuing on in neuroscience research as a medical student.
I have not attempted to connect with officers in the AMMSA yet, and frankly I'm not sure where to start. As for the research, I will look into the SfN. Even though research is not something that interests me very much in the long term, I do intend to continue neuroscience research in med school as I assume research is a non-negotiable.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Arkansas
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
St. Louis
U Chicago
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Duke
U Virginia