WAMC + Need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClotBuster

Stay schemin'...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
H

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, long time lurker first time posting.. So I plan on applying June 2012 and was wondering if I could get some help picking schools and if I could get some feedback as to what my chances of being accepted are. Here are my stats:

NY resident, Bio major

MCAT: PS 10 BS 10 VR 10 Writing: M

cGPA: ~3.7
sGPA: ~3.8

EC's:

- ~50 hrs volunteering int the ED
- ~50 hrs shadowing 2 physicians
- ~1.5 yrs clinical research assistant
- very involved in a student organization; served as treasurer for 2 yrs, and VP for 1 yr
- Member of the Student Assembly for 1 yr
- Various Intramural and club sports
- Bio TA 2 semesters
- Chem tutor 1 year
- Multiple part-time/ summer jobs throughout undergrad

So far I plan on applying to: (feel free to make suggestions)

SUNY Downstate
SUNY StonyBrook
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo

How about some PA schools like Drexel and Temple. Also add Rosalind from IL.

Last edited:
Hey guys, long time lurker first time posting.. So I plan on applying June 2012 and was wondering if I could get some help picking schools and if I could get some feedback as to what my chances of being accepted are. Here are my stats:

NY resident, Bio major

MCAT: PS 10 BS 10 VR 10 Writing: M

cGPA: ~3.7
sGPA: ~3.8

EC's:

- ~50 hrs volunteering int the ED
- ~50 hrs shadowing 2 physicians
- ~1.5 yrs clinical research assistant
- very involved in a student organization; served as treasurer for 2 yrs, and VP for 1 yr
- Member of the Student Assembly for 1 yr
- Various Intramural and club sports
- Bio TA 2 semesters
- Chem tutor 1 year
- Multiple part-time/ summer jobs throughout undergrad

So far I plan on applying to: (feel free to make suggestions)

SUNY Downstate
SUNY StonyBrook
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Chances of acceptance can be reviewed in sector9's sticky at the top of this forum.

To improve chances, consider some nonmedical community service if your tutoring was all paid, and even if so, some service that helps the poor would help your application. Hopefully, your clinical research allowed you to personally interact with patients so your clinical experience won't look sparse. If you didn't shadow a primary care doc, try to add 8 hours of that, otherwise, the shadowing hours are fine.

With a 3.7/30, you might also look at these schools for "fit" as they all have a decent OOS matriculation rate:

UKentucky, UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, Keck, FIU (13%OOS, but expected to rise), Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Albany,
Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (newer)
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU (new), Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition),
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Catalystik and flodhi1 for your responses. As a clinical RA my primary duties included patient enrollment and data/sample collecting so I thankfully that should cover my clinical experience requirement. As for the shadowing, I did shadow an internist but it was an in inpatient setting so I'm not sure if that counts as a "primary care" speciality, but I guess I'll try to find a family physician to shadow.

I did shadow an internist but it was an in inpatient setting so I'm not sure if that counts as a "primary care" speciality, but I guess I'll try to find a family physician to shadow.
An internist is a primary caretaker, but shadowing in an office-based setting is important too (as this is where long-lasting relationships form). If the IM doc is not a hospitalist, maybe he/she would let you come to the office, too? Otherwise, yes, a Family Practice doc is perfect.
As a clinical RA my primary duties included patient enrollment and data/sample collecting so I thankfully that should cover my clinical experience requirement.
I think you're fine in that case.

A little late, but thought id give an update in case anyone's interested. Ended up receiving 6 interviews with 3 acceptances and will be matriculating at my number 1 choice. Thanks for all the help guys dont think I couldve done it with out all the help I got from these forums!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk