WAMC? Need School List...3.92 cGPA | 3.89 sGPA | 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flipper19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...I need some help creating a school list and would love any input on what my chances are in general. All of the hours and info listed here do not include what I'll be doing during my gap year. Here's my info:
  1. GPA: 3.92 cGPA and 3.89 sGPA as a STEM major + humanities minor graduating in 3 years
  2. MCAT: 517 (129/130/127/131)
  3. State of residence: CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. UG: Top 25
  6. Clinical experience: ~600 hrs (includes hospital + other clinical volunteering)
  7. Research: ~1800 hrs (2.5 years), multiple published abstracts/posters [some of which won awards] + couple of papers, a few currently submitted or awaiting submission; no first author work yet though, will be starting independent project during gap year
  8. Shadowing: ~20 official hrs, more "unofficial" hrs from clinical + hospital volunteering experience
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~1000 hrs (very large focus on serving the underserved/homeless/etc.; on the exec. board of one of these orgs)
  10. Other extracurricular activities: leadership roles in a couple of honor societies; membership in a couple of other clubs
  11. Relevant honors or awards: graduating Summa Cum Laude + Phi Beta Kappa + Honors; entered UG with the top scholarship awarded to freshman admits; Dean's List every quarter; about $20K in scholarships; a few other misc. awards
  12. LORs: amazing non-science letter; 2 very generic science letters; good letters from PI and from a MD who I did research with
  13. Work Experience: A LOT! part-time tutoring/consulting/proctoring work for 3 years, grading work for 1.5 years, notetaker for 1 year, unpaid TA-ing gig for a few months, unpaid internship for 3 summers
  14. Misc.: GAP YEAR => will be working full-time as a front+back medical office receptionist [will get some shadowing/chaperoning hrs during this] while continuing my tutoring/consulting/proctoring work, some hospital volunteering, and research; will also be working on some random, miscellaneous projects throughout the year as well
  15. Misc.: HIGH SCHOOL => I know that we are generally not supposed to include things from high school, but I was involved in an activity related to humanitarian activism throughout HS (in which I had a large leadership role) which was both extremely significant to me and pretty unique -- and which had a huge role in influencing my professional goals -- so I definitely want to include it in my app...
In terms of my school list, my top priority is staying in CA...

I'll definitely be applying to:
- USC
- UCLA
- UC San Diego
- UC Irvine
- UC Davis
- Loma Linda
- CUSM
- UC Riverside
- UCSF
- Stanford

I want to stick with MD, so I don't know if I should also apply to WesternU (DO) since its in CA. I also don't know which OOS schools I should be applying to/am competitive for, so any insight into that would be fantastic. Also, I'd appreciate any insight into how competitive I seem to be for the CA schools!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other schools I'd consider if I were in your shoes:

Duke
Case Western
Icahn
Cornell
Mayo
Boston
Upitt
Hofstra
Emory
Einstein
Dartmouth
Brown
Jefferson
University of Miami
GW (will really like your service to the undeserved)
Drexel (will really like your service to the undeserved)
Temple
Georgetown (will really like your service to the undeserved)

As far as your chances in CA schools, I'd be suprised if you DIDN'T get at least a couple interviews from some of them.

@Goro and @Faha could give you additional advice

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone...I need some help creating a school list and would love any input on what my chances are in general. All of the hours and info listed here do not include what I'll be doing during my gap year. Here's my info:
  1. GPA: 3.92 cGPA and 3.89 sGPA as a STEM major + humanities minor graduating in 3 years
  2. MCAT: 517 (129/130/127/131)
  3. State of residence: CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. UG: Top 25
  6. Clinical experience: ~600 hrs (includes hospital + other clinical volunteering)
  7. Research: ~1800 hrs (2.5 years), multiple published abstracts/posters [some of which won awards] + couple of papers, a few currently submitted or awaiting submission; no first author work yet though, will be starting independent project during gap year
  8. Shadowing: ~20 official hrs, more "unofficial" hrs from clinical + hospital volunteering experience
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~1000 hrs (very large focus on serving the underserved/homeless/etc.; on the exec. board of one of these orgs)
  10. Other extracurricular activities: leadership roles in a couple of honor societies; membership in a couple of other clubs
  11. Relevant honors or awards: graduating Summa Cum Laude + Phi Beta Kappa + Honors; entered UG with the top scholarship awarded to freshman admits; Dean's List every quarter; about $20K in scholarships; a few other misc. awards
  12. LORs: amazing non-science letter; 2 very generic science letters; good letters from PI and from a MD who I did research with
  13. Work Experience: A LOT! part-time tutoring/consulting/proctoring work for 3 years, grading work for 1.5 years, notetaker for 1 year, unpaid TA-ing gig for a few months, unpaid internship for 3 summers
  14. Misc.: GAP YEAR => will be working full-time as a front+back medical office receptionist [will get some shadowing/chaperoning hrs during this] while continuing my tutoring/consulting/proctoring work, some hospital volunteering, and research; will also be working on some random, miscellaneous projects throughout the year as well
  15. Misc.: HIGH SCHOOL => I know that we are generally not supposed to include things from high school, but I was involved in an activity related to humanitarian activism throughout HS (in which I had a large leadership role) which was both extremely significant to me and pretty unique -- and which had a huge role in influencing my professional goals -- so I definitely want to include it in my app...
In terms of my school list, my top priority is staying in CA...

I'll definitely be applying to:
- USC
- UCLA
- UC San Diego
- UC Irvine
- UC Davis
- Loma Linda
- CUSM
- UC Riverside
- UCSF
- Stanford

I want to stick with MD, so I don't know if I should also apply to WesternU (DO) since its in CA. I also don't know which OOS schools I should be applying to/am competitive for, so any insight into that would be fantastic. Also, I'd appreciate any insight into how competitive I seem to be for the CA schools!

Thanks!
There was a thread the other day about EC Tiers. You would have what I call "killer ECs".
You're a rock star; aim high.

I suggest:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
ALL UCs, but UCR only IF you’re from the Inland Empire
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI

Thank you both!!

In terms of the school list, how exactly should I go about picking specific schools? And about how many would you suggest I actually apply to? I'm not really sure how to decide...