WAMC? (Need Some Help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htexasapplicant

Reaction score
Hello y’all,
I am a 21 year old, first-generation applicant applying for Veterinary school. I reside in the state of Texas and have already submitted my application for Texas A&M (second-time applicant). I also intend to apply for Texas Tech when their application cycle opens. My questions are in regards to OOS Veterinary School as I will be a first-time applicant for all of them. My plan is to apply to roughly 6-7 OOS schools, and I am only considering schools in which the GRE is not being considered for this application cycle.

OOS Vet Schools I will for sure be applying to: Florida, LSU, & Mississippi State (based on my location)

Potential OOS Veterinary Schools I may apply to (I need to narrow this list down to three to four schools): Colorado, Cornell, Iowa, Kansas St., Michigan, Midwestern, North Carolina, Ohio, Purdue, Tennessee

Cumulative GPA: 3.91
Last 45 GPA: Roughly 4.0
Science GPA: Unfortunately my school doesn’t provide us with our Science GPA, but I would say its anywhere from 3.8 - 3.9 (I have only made three Bs)

GRE: I took it last year, but I don’t intend to apply with it.

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal (working at vet clinic) - 1200 hrs
Farm Animals - 200 hrs

Animal Experience:
High School FFA - Veterinary Science Team - 150
Ownership of a Dog - 200
Pet Sitting Neighbors Cats for Over Two Years - 250
Volunteering at Local Animal Shelter - 40

Research:
Watershed Restoration Project - 20 hrs
Study Abroad Research Project in Belize (focusing on the fate of a plastic debris microbiome during a simulated transport) - 288 hrs
Literary Research Project (focusing on the relationship between Alzheimer's disease and alcohol consumption) - 32 hrs
Research Project (focusing on Gene Expression of Eukaryotic Parasites) - 80 hrs

Extracurriculars & Community Service:
HS FFA - Reporter
Honors Student Organization - Member
Tri-Beta National Biological Honors Society - Served as the Vice President for the 2019-2020 Academic School Year
Pre-Vet Organization - Member
Pre-Pharmacy Organization - Served as the Social Chair Officer for the 2019 Spring Semester

Church Related Volunteer Events - 75 hrs
Local Food Bank - 24 hrs
Personal Babysitter - 90 hrs

Honors & Awards:
HS Award in Recognition of Advanced Animal Science
HS Local FFA Veterinary Science Competition (Individual) - Fourth Place
HS Local Union Scholarship
HS Pre-Vet Scholarship

Award - In Recognition of Academic Excellence
Conference: First Place - Best Oral Presentation
Conference: Third Place - Best Oral Presentation
Coral Reef Microbialization Fellowship
Dean’s List (3 Semesters)
Local Pre-Veterinary Scholarship (Three-Year Recipient)
McMaster Grant in Aid of Research, Study or Creation
President’s List (3 Semesters)
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)

Other Work Experience:
Kennel Tech at Local Vet Clinic - 2 years
Local Grocery Store Bagger - 4 years
Organic Chem TA - 1 year

As someone who attends a college with a not so great pre-veterinary program, the majority of my knowledge regarding the application has been self taught; therefore, I appreciate any and all feedback. I am actually extremely eager to apply to more competitive vet schools like Colorado and North Carolina; but with my budget towards the cost of applications, I am hesitant to “waste” an application on the more competitive schools when I may have a better chance at others. Let me know what y’all think!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who attends a college with a not so great pre-veterinary program, the majority of my knowledge regarding the application has been self taught; therefore, I appreciate any and all feedback

I feel you. My school didnt have a pre-vet advisor when I was applying, and the pre-vet program is relatively lacking. But you seem pretty aware, even compared to students from schools with consistent pre vet programs!

I am hesitant to “waste” an application on the more competitive schools when I may have a better chance at others

With your overall stats, your application is pretty solid as long as your subjective stuff (letters, essays, etc) are also solid. I dont think you'll he wasting your money applying to any school as far as stats are concerned. You'll want to make sure you have several eyes looking at your essays to make sure you're 1) answering the prompt and 2) you have an engaging essay. Pick LORs that are air tight.

At this point, you'd be a good candidate for any school overall.

Texas Tech and TAMU would be your best options price wise. I would suggest picking OOS that are on the cheaper end. NC State and Ohio State would be the best options there due to them allowing residency switch. Colorado would be one of the most expensive (if not the most expensive) on your long list due to both high OOS tuition and increasing cost of living within CO in general.

But if you have already considered money/money is not a concern, pick schools based on what matters to you. Kansas and Midwestern would be the next closest schools to you depending on where in TX you're located. There are a few other schools that are also close, but arent on your list. So if you like certain curriculum things, you can reach out to current students on here or check out our X vs Y school sub forum where students have given their pros and cons both in threads and in a large google doc.

Reactions: 1 user