WAMC next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarryMcBald

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.76
Science GPA: 3.72
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
22 AA, 21 TS, PAT 23, QR 23, RC 21
State of Residence: NY

Undergrad Attended:
T20 US Undergrad
Major: Economics (Used to be finance)
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? I don't think so. I did take a 2 year gap year for mandatory NON-US military service

Shadowing Experience:
140 hours
Volunteering Experience: 110 hours
Other Extracurriculars: Private Equity Internship, Asset Management Internship, case competition club (participated in two BIG famous case competitions, runner-up in both), president of blockchain club, president of bicycle club, mandatory 2 year military service, student managed fund analyst, tutor for school's peer tutoring center, TA for two courses
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list every semester
LOR type and strength: 2 good LOR from science prof., 1 very strong LOR from dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I used to be a finance major and wanted to get into investment banking, so I have a lot of finance-related ECs.

School list:
Rutgers
Temple
NYU
Iowa
Case Western
Lecom
U Mich
Loma linda
Maryland
BU
Buffalo

Members don't see this ad.

I take it your an international applicant then if you had mandatory Non-US military service? If that’s the case you may want to apply to a few more schools possibly 5-6 more. Remove Loma Linda unless you have a religious LOR lined up, throw in UMN and Creighton they’re usually international friendly if you are an international applicant.

If you’re not an international applicant, forget what I said! But remove Loma unless you have that letter lined up.

Overall GPA: 3.76
Science GPA: 3.72
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.7
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA, 21 TS, PAT 23, QR 23, RC 21
State of Residence: NY

Undergrad Attended: T20 US Undergrad
Major: Economics (Used to be finance)
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? I don't think so. I did take a 2 year gap year for mandatory NON-US military service

Shadowing Experience: 140 hours
Volunteering Experience: 110 hours
Other Extracurriculars: Private Equity Internship, Asset Management Internship, case competition club (participated in two BIG famous case competitions, runner-up in both), president of blockchain club, president of bicycle club, mandatory 2 year military service, student managed fund analyst, tutor for school's peer tutoring center, TA for two courses
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list every semester
LOR type and strength: 2 good LOR from science prof., 1 very strong LOR from dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I used to be a finance major and wanted to get into investment banking, so I have a lot of finance-related ECs.

School list:
Rutgers
Temple
NYU
Iowa
Case Western
Lecom
U Mich
Loma linda
Maryland
BU
Buffalo
are you a US citizen?

why not finance/economics as a career?

Members don't see this ad :)
I take it your an international applicant then if you had mandatory Non-US military service? If that’s the case you may want to apply to a few more schools possibly 5-6 more. Remove Loma Linda unless you have a religious LOR lined up, throw in UMN and Creighton they’re usually international friendly if you are an international applicant.

If you’re not an international applicant, forget what I said! But remove Loma unless you have that letter lined up.
No I am not international. I have a US citizenship.

Should I still be applying to more schools just in case or do you think my chances are high enough for these schools? I'm kind of worried of not getting accepted since I want to get into dentistry ASAP before I get older since I had to take 2 year gap year + 2 additional semesters due to changing majors and pre req issues.

110 hours of volunteering experience is barely minimal. What exactly did you do? (You may get a little bit of a pass with your non-US military service, but only a little.)

What other dental exposure do you have other than your 140 hours of shadowing? Exactly what were you doing shadowing for that long?

Should I still be applying to more schools just in case or do you think my chances are high enough for these schools? I'm kind of worried of not getting accepted since I want to get into dentistry ASAP before I get older since I had to take 2 year gap year + 2 additional semesters due to changing majors and pre req issues.
I had similar stats when I applied and applied to 9 schools and got into 4. So anywhere from 8-10 is probably good if you are a US citizen. But your list is sorta all over the country. Any specific reason as to why? I tried to stick to Midwest and east coast with my applications and had reasons for wanting to attend each school. Id say unless you can give a reason as to why you’d attend id swap it for a different school.

I personally heard this advice “if that was the only school that you got accepted to, would you attend?” and If no, then don’t apply. Be 100% okay with going to whatever school is on your list. Do your research, each program has their quirks. For example like I stated, Loma requires a spritual advisor LOR and unless you’re fine with attending chapel and religious coursework, I’d just cross it off. Iowa prefers applicants who apply very early (June) to be another quirk. So I’d just make sure you know the schools you are applying to to maximize your chances and please apply as early as you can, preferably some time in June if you’re seriously trying to get in. Rolling admissions do make a difference

110 hours of volunteering experience is barely minimal. What exactly did you do? (You may get a little bit of a pass with your non-US military service, but only a little.)

What other dental exposure do you have other than your 140 hours of shadowing? Exactly what were you doing shadowing for that long?
I volunteered helping autistic kids. I also tutored students from low-income families for free (don't know if that counts). I shadowed an ortho and a general dentist. I don't have other dental exposure other than this.

I had similar stats when I applied and applied to 9 schools and got into 4. So anywhere from 8-10 is probably good if you are a US citizen. But your list is sorta all over the country. Any specific reason as to why? I tried to stick to Midwest and east coast with my applications and had reasons for wanting to attend each school. Id say unless you can give a reason as to why you’d attend id swap it for a different school.

I personally heard this advice “if that was the only school that you got accepted to, would you attend?” and If no, then don’t apply. Be 100% okay with going to whatever school is on your list. Do your research, each program has their quirks. For example like I stated, Loma requires a spritual advisor LOR and unless you’re fine with attending chapel and religious coursework, I’d just cross it off. Iowa prefers applicants who apply very early (June) to be another quirk. So I’d just make sure you know the schools you are applying to to maximize your chances and please apply as early as you can, preferably some time in June if you’re seriously trying to get in. Rolling admissions do make a difference
Ok thank you

Do you think my ECs will benefit me? I have a lot of ECs not related to dentistry/healthcare, so I am a bit concerned.

Do you think my ECs will benefit me? I have a lot of ECs not related to dentistry/healthcare, so I am a bit concerned.
You also claim over 100 hours of shadowing. Observing more practices would be nice. Actually working in an office would make me confident that the dentist owners actually like having you around.

If you feel you don't have enough, you are probably right until you know you have enough.

You also claim over 100 hours of shadowing. Observing more practices would be nice. Actually working in an office would make me confident that the dentist owners actually like having you around.

If you feel you don't have enough, you are probably right until you know you have enough.
Ok thank you.

I would add Stony Brook. Great in-state school for NY.

Reactions: 1 user