WAMC - no interviews yet and thought I was an okay applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imwiththevision

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm applying this cycle and have gotten 0 interviews so far. To be completely frank, there's a lot I do not know about the admissions process. After some research, I'm confused as to if I should be worried at this point (of having gotten 0 interviews). Some threads on here say you're fine because it's only September and some threads have people seriously freaking out. If you guys could help me figure out what end of that spectrum I should be on, (hopefully) it might bring me more comfort as I wait? I thought my application would be okay enough to get my foot in the door but now am not so sure...

Date of submission: Submitted July 31st, verified August 3rd, application complete: (dates range from August 3rd-September 3rd)
Overall GPA: 3.60
Science GPA: 3.51
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.48
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA/TS/PAT/BIO/GC/OC/QR/RC: 21/20/22/20/22/20/18/24
State of Residence: CA

Undergrad Attended: Very competitive undergraduate institution in CA
Major: Something science related. (saying it might give me away? I'm paranoid)
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~200 general dentistry hours, listed around 50 specialty shadowing hours (ortho, pros, OS, etc)
Volunteering Experience: ~400 hours, very meaningful, half of those hours are dental related. can't really specify w/o giving identity away.
Employment: N/A (I just got my first job right now).
Research: ~100 Hours, Biology related research, MCD Bio/Physiology related.
Other Extracurriculars: Was a volunteer TA for 2 years, have 1 leadership position, involvement in pre-dental organizations, attended workshops, school-specific programs, was also In 1 non pre-dental club for one of my hobbies.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Not really any; have dean's list awards and awards given from my school's department for academic success but that's all.
LOR type and strength: 4 letters (1 dentist, 1 PI, 2 science professors), all very strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Received C's in a few pre-requisites because of family tragedy I dealt with for 2 years (mentioned this in one of the essays), Was told I have a good personal statement (had it read by bootcamp counselors).

School list:
UCLA
UCSF
USC
UOP
Western
NYU
BU
UPenn
Harvard
Columbia
Tufts
Touro
Rutgers
Stony Brook
Temple
UCONN
MWU-IL

If somebody can just help me get a grip that would be very much appreciated; if my stats and application are weak for the schools I've chosen, I'd rather have a stranger on the internet crush my dreams and bring me back to reality than a mentor or friend in real life. If you think I'll be fine, that input is also appreciated as well. Just need some advice. Also, does anybody think I applied too late? Thanks in advance everybody :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody, I'm applying this cycle and have gotten 0 interviews so far. To be completely frank, there's a lot I do not know about the admissions process. After some research, I'm confused as to if I should be worried at this point (of having gotten 0 interviews). Some threads on here say you're fine because it's only September and some threads have people seriously freaking out. If you guys could help me figure out what end of that spectrum I should be on, (hopefully) it might bring me more comfort as I wait? I thought my application would be okay enough to get my foot in the door but now am not so sure...

Date of submission: Submitted July 31st, verified August 3rd, application complete: (dates range from August 3rd-September 3rd)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA/TS/PAT/BIO/GC/OC/QR/RC: 21/20/22/20/22/20/18/24

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~200 general dentistry hours, listed around 50 specialty shadowing hours (ortho, pros, OS, etc)
Volunteering Experience: ~400 hours, very meaningful, half of those hours are dental related. can't really specify w/o giving identity away.
Other Extracurriculars: Was a volunteer TA for 2 years, have 1 leadership position, involvement in pre-dental organizations, attended workshops, school-specific programs, was also In 1 non pre-dental club for one of my hobbies.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Not really any; have dean's list awards and awards given from my school's department for academic success but that's all.
LOR type and strength: 4 letters (1 dentist, 1 PI, 2 science professors), all very strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Received C's in a few pre-requisites because of family tragedy I dealt with for 2 years (mentioned this in one of the essays), Was told I have a good personal statement (had it read by bootcamp counselors).

School list:
UCLA
UCSF
USC
UOP
Western
NYU
BU
UPenn
Harvard
Columbia
Tufts
Touro
Rutgers
Stony Brook
Temple
UCONN
MWU-IL

If somebody can just help me get a grip that would be very much appreciated; if my stats and application are weak for the schools I've chosen, I'd rather have a stranger on the internet crush my dreams and bring me back to reality than a mentor or friend in real life. If you think I'll be fine, that input is also appreciated as well. Just need some advice. Also, does anybody think I applied too late? Thanks in advance everybody :)
The two biggest things I see on your app are:
1) Date of submission - you applied almost 2 months after the cycle opened. Considering how admissions are rolling, this definitely did not help... But because you applied somewhat "late", I would wait a little longer before getting concerned about not having any interviews.
2) School list - I agree with you saying your app is okay. 3.60o/3.51s with a 21AA/20TS is about average. 5 schools on your list were reaches (UC's and Ivy's), UoP is sometimes said to be very competitive too due to it being a 3 year program, and I don't know how OOS friendly Stony Brook is....

I would sit tight and maybe start getting concerned come November... It's really hard to say right now.

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

School list:
UCLA
UCSF
USC
UOP
Western
NYU
BU
UPenn
Harvard
Columbia
Tufts
Touro
Rutgers
Stony Brook
Temple
UCONN
MWU-IL

dontworryaboutit
trust the process...

Reactions: 1 user