MD & DO WAMC - Non-trad 3.45 GPA, 519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kahalaopuna

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I recently got my MCAT score back and I'm looking for help with my school list. My overall GPA is <10th percentile for many schools but my 99+ credit postbac GPA was ok. Which GPA should be used when creating a school list?
  1. GPA: 3.45cGPA, 3.60sGPA - downward trend throughout undergrad with plenty of Ws (significant illness - addressed in personal statement) in an engineering major with a 99+ credit postbac (earned an additional STEM degree) at 3.85c/sGPA
  2. MCAT: 519 (130,130,129,130)
  3. GA resident with strong ties to HI
  4. ORM, Non-trad
  5. Undergraduate institution: state school
  6. Clinical experience: ~550 hours volunteering, 2000 hours paid (patient care tech)
  7. Research: ~700 hours, many poster/oral presentations with a poster award at a national conference
  8. Shadowing: 50 hours, various surgical specialties
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 230 hours with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, 120 hours nursing home, 300 hours research mentor for disadvantaged high school students
  10. Other extracurricular activities: former varsity athlete (prior to illness), former high school teacher, currently working as an engineer
  11. Other info: bilingual
Current School List:
  • Albany Medical College
  • Medical College of Georgia
  • Kaiser
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Mercer
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Tulane
  • Wake Forest
  • Carle
  • Dartmouth
  • George Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Creighton
  • Eastern Virginia
  • Loyola
  • Oakland Beaumont
  • Ohio State (reach)
  • Rush
  • Tufts
  • University of Cincinnati
  • JABSOM (University of Hawaii)
  • USF Morsani
  • Wayne State
  • Western Michigan
  • Quinnipiac

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive interviews. I suggest adding these schools:
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good list and should receive interviews. I suggest adding these schools:
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College

Thank you for your help!
Most of these schools were on my radar but unfortunately have time constraints for prerequisites.

NOVA - within 3 years required
New York Medical College - within10 years preferred
Temple - within 3 years preferred (science courses)
Jefferson - after June 2014 required
Seton Hall - after September 2010 required

Would it hurt to contact these schools to find out how strict their policies are? I have recent upper-level coursework (within three years) but some of my prerequisites are 14 years old.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your help!
Most of these schools were on my radar but unfortunately have time constraints for prerequisites.

NOVA - within 3 years required
New York Medical College - within10 years preferred
Temple - within 3 years preferred (science courses)
Jefferson - after June 2014 required
Seton Hall - after September 2010 required

Would it hurt to contact these schools to find out how strict their policies are? I have recent upper-level coursework (within three years) but some of my prerequisites are 14 years old.
Yes, contact the schools.

@Goro are there any suggestions you would add? Do I have any business looking into some of the schools you have previously mentioned to 'reward reinvention?'

Thank you for your help, @Goro ! While I am eager to strike Carle from my list after reading about their rather unconventional secondary application, I am curious about your reasoning behind deleting it. I originally included it because of the engineering emphasis and my cGPA and sGPA are in the 10th and 25th percentiles, respectively.

Thank you for your help, @Goro ! While I am eager to strike Carle from my list after reading about their rather unconventional secondary application, I am curious about your reasoning behind deleting it. I originally included it because of the engineering emphasis and my cGPA and sGPA are in the 10th and 25th percentiles, respectively.
You're not an ILLL resident

Yup
Pitt
Sinai
Wake
Case
Emory
Hofstra
Columbia
UCSF
Dartmouth
BU

Delete UI Carle and OH State

Yeah, having three full years of 3.8+ postbacc, strong ECs, and a 519 MCAT will mean that you've got a shot at forgiveness for those early low grades.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users