WAMC non-trad, 3.64/519, veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I think I’m finally ready to apply this upcoming cycle, so I appreciate any feedback or realistic school advice. Keeping some things vague for anonymity’s sake.

Graduated with degrees in biology and history (3.54 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA). Didn't consider medicine until senior year.

After college, served as an officer in the military for four years. When I got out, I got a clinical research job, which resulted in two posters. Since the study is now over, I’m going to be scribing and taking care of my dad for this application year.

Since graduating, I’ve completed 42-credit DIY post-bacc of all science classes, so my total GPA now is 3.64 cGPA and 3.65 sGPA. My GPA trend is 3.5 fresh, 3.2 soph, 3.4 jr., 3.7 senior, 3.97 post-bacc.

MCAT: 519 (130, 130, 130, 129)

Volunteering: Lots. during undergrad I did around 1100 hours of service through three different clubs—Big Brothers, which I was a leader for my last two years, and two other groups that are specific to my school. Over the last two years, I’ve also done about 300 more hours at an immigrant and refugee services center where I teach ESL, as well as clinical volunteering.

Clinical experience: about 600 hours of clinical volunteering plus all the clinic time during my research job (we were in the clinic about 15 hours a week for two years). As I mentioned, I’ll also be scribing this upcoming year.

Shadowing: about 60 hours between 4 different specialties. I also spent probably 5-6 hours a week in my research job shadowing my PI.

Research productivity: Just the two posters from clinical research. Nothing special.

LORs: getting the committee packet from my undergrad, 3 of the the letters should be really good.

Other:
-Hispanic male, non-URM, fluent in Spanish
-Member of chess club, Cuban culture club, and salsa dance club in college
-3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do
-Pretty unique life story, but won't get into it here

Basically, I don’t know where to start with my school list other than my state school and Brown (I know, but I have a ton of family in Providence, so I'm tossing them an app) since my GPA is pretty mediocre. Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You are a strong candidate pretty much anywhere.
I'm thinking of applying to these schools... any to add or knock off? I'm not sanguine about my chances at the research powerhouses or the high-stat schools like Stanford, WashU, or Vandy. I'd still like to throw in some higher reaches though.

State school
Brown
BU
Tufts
USC
Miami
UVA
Dartmouth
Einstein
Emory
SLU
Jeff
Loyola

Reaches:
Duke
Chicago
Yale
Harvard
UCSF
Michigan
Columbia
Hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)
To the list, add:
Pitt
Mayo
Vandy
U TX SW
U TX SA
T TX-H
Public schools neighboring your state
Hofstra
U VM

I'm thinking of applying to these schools... any to add or knock off? I'm not sanguine about my chances at the research powerhouses or the high-stat schools like Stanford, WashU, or Vandy. I'd still like to throw in some higher reaches though.

State school
Brown
BU
Tufts
USC
Miami
UVA
Dartmouth
Einstein
Emory
SLU
Jeff
Loyola

Reaches:
Duke
Chicago
Yale
Harvard
UCSF
Michigan
Columbia
Hopkins

State school
Brown
BU
Tufts
USC
Miami
UVA
Dartmouth
Einstein
Emory
SLU
Jeff