WAMC? Non-trad 520/3.6/URM/CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olenna

Reaction score
Hello! I would really appreciate advice on my med school list, as well as any general advice for my application.

Basic stats:

520 MCAT (132, 128, 128, 132)

cGPA: 3.61, sGPA 3.64

CA resident

Hispanic female

Nontraditional student (graduated in 2017, applying in 2020)

Gap years consisted of clinical and research work:

- psychiatry practice (~2500 hours)

-Clinical Research Coordinator for a clinical trial at Stanford (~1500 hours), posters presented and currently working on a paper for publication

My current list
1. UCSD
2. UCLA
3. UCSF
4. UC Irvine
5. UC Davis
6. UC Riverside
7. USC Keck
8. Stanford
9. Kaiser
10. Mayo Arizona
11. Baylor
12. Mt. Sinai
13. Boston U
14. Tufts
15. Georgetown
16. U Chicago

I would also appreciate advice on what safety schools I should consider.

I would really appreciate any help, especially @Goro @Faha @Mr.Smile12 . Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add these schools:
California University
Miami
USF Morsani
Einstein
NYU
Columbia
Cornell

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thank you both so much for your suggestions! Do either of you have any advice on how many schools I should apply to? I would rather apply to fewer schools so that I can work on submitting high-quality secondaries. But I also don't want to be too risky!

@Goro @Faha

Great, thank you both so much for your suggestions! Do either of you have any advice on how many schools I should apply to? I would rather apply to fewer schools so that I can work on submitting high-quality secondaries. But I also don't want to be too risky!

@Goro @Faha
I recommend between 25 and 35.

Got it, thank you!

One last thing, do you think it would be worth it for me to apply to Oregon Health Sciences University as an OOS applicant? And UCR without having ties to the Inland Empire?

I really appreciate all the advice you've given me and other prospective medical students!

Who is writing your reference letters? Have you connected with LMSA and SNMA chapters at the schools you have high on your preference list? Also have you talked with diversity/student services administrators at the schools? You want to be sure you pick a supportive environment wherever you go, especially if you are transitioning from a gap year schedule back to a medical school schedule.

Who is writing your reference letters? Have you connected with LMSA and SNMA chapters at the schools you have high on your preference list? Also have you talked with diversity/student services administrators at the schools? You want to be sure you pick a supportive environment wherever you go, especially if you are transitioning from a gap year schedule back to a medical school schedule.

Hi! Thanks for this advice! I admit I had not thought about reaching out to LMSA and SNMA chapters and diversity offices before reading your message. What is the benefit of reaching out to them? What sorts of questions would be good to ask?

Reactions: 1 user